The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is the Samsung i8510 an Nokia N96 killer?

michael

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Oddly their own N85 seems to be the N96 killer at the moment.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n85-en.shtml

Given that the TV tuner in the N96 won't work here for a few years, it has a naff battery, it's bigger, weighs more, has no 3D game support (like the N95 does), no camera cover and a basic screen compared to the N85 then it's not making much sense to me.

OK the 16GB of storage is nice (especially as it's internal and you can add an SD card) but other than this and it being "11 better" as far as the numbers go I'm not sure it's the new flagship. The N85 seems to be that phone now, has an FM transmitter too.

Oddly their own N85 seems to be the N96 killer at the moment.

I've come to the same conclusion, I can't get any dates from O2 as to when it will be available though. I did read October, but it's not showing up on Carphonewhorehouse's coming soon section (where I've usually checked for release dates) yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Nokia N96 might not be available on 02 when it's released:

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/O2_says_no_to_stocking_the_Nokia_N96.html

But:

Customers are likely to be able to buy the Nokia N96 on O2 at the Carphone Warehouse.

Vodaphone are supposed to be getting them next week.

I'm still thinking N85 but also considering the Omnia now, I need to play with one.

There's still a distinct lack on info on when the N85 will be out. It was supposed to be October, the same as the N96. Lots of places already have the N96 available for pre-order but nothing whatsoever about the N85.

I'm hoping that doesn't mean it's been delayed. I've dropped Nokia and O2 an e-mail to see if they can give me any dates. If it's not until next year I might look at something else instead.

How about Samsung Omnia (i900)? I think this is my next choice of phone after N95 :)

Be careful with the Omnia from Vodafone. Theor support forum is full of people complaining about firmware bugs. From the soud of things the Vodafone customised ROM absolutely *uggers the phone and they havn't released an update yet.

Well I just spoke to o2 today as my Nokia 8800 Scirocco has a cracked screen and due to them not making the 8800 anymore there sending me the N95 8gb to replace it under my insurance cover which should arrive at my work tomorrow, but best of all, i'm upgrading to the iphone this weekend so two top notch phones in one week isn't bad going :D

N95-8GB, N96, N85, Omnio, iPhone, LG KC910 and the Sony seem to be the ones to look at right now, the Nokia Tube I posted about on another thread today might be OK for you if you want music though.

Personally I like the idea of the N85 at the moment but who knows what else will be released between now and that hitting the shelves. I had hoped the T-Mobile G1 Android would be a killer but it's a bit disappointing.

The only real benefit the N96 brings is it's storage capacity - if you don't already have an N95 it's a good option but if you are already with the N series phones the N85 will make more sense, better screen, N-Gage support, better battery life, smaller, cheaper.... The N85 also has the FM transmitter than the N95/96 don't - could be useful if you want to use the MP3 player side of things in the car.

If the N96 freeview tuner actually worked that could be a decent selling point but it doesn't :)

http://thenokiablog.com/2008/08/26/top-5-reasons-why-nokia-n85-is-better-than-nokia-n96/

#1 Power

The Nokia N85 comes with bigger battery with 1200 mAh vs 950 mAh on the Nokia N96. Take a look at these comparisons:

Talk time

* Nokia N85: 6.9 hours on GSM, 4.5 hours on WCDMA, 9 hours VoIP

* Nokia N96: 3.8 hours on GSM, 2.7 hours on WCDMA, (no VoIP on N96)

Standby

* Nokia N85: GSM 363 hours, WCDMA 363 hours

* Nokia N96: GSM 230 hrs, WCDMA 200 hours

#2 MicroUSB Charging

Reduce clutter with one less cable. The Nokia N85 can now be charged though the microUSB port simultaneously while doing data transfer. This is the first for Nseries phones, and a missing feature in the Nokia N96.

#3 FM Transmitter

The Nokia N85 has a built-in FM transmitter that will let us listen to the music from our phone directly on a radio. This feature was introduced in the Nokia N78 but is missing on the Nokia N96.

#4 Lens Cover

Readers told me they want lens cover on their cameraphones. The camera on the Nokia N85 is protected, but not the Nokia N96.

#5 Screen

The Nokia N85 has new screen technology called AM OLED. You can read All About Symbian’s detailed explanation about AM OLED, but it basically means brighter, better colour gamut (numbers of colours that can be accurately displayed at same time), better contrast ratio, have a better response time, have better viewing angles and use less power than current Nseries devices including the Nokia N96.

But it all depends on what you want from a phone, my desire for certain features might not be the same as yours - for me the N85 makes most sense though. It's not a prestige flagship phone to impress the people on the train but it ticks all the right boxes.

I just rang O2 upgrades, and they've still no idea on when they'll be getting the N85 :(

I thought O2 weren't getting any of the new N series phones because they want to push the iPhone and retain their status as sole supplier?

The N85 is supposed to ship sometime this month but if you want to stay with O2 you'll probably need to use Carphone Warehouse for the upgrade.