The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is the Samsung i8510 an Nokia N96 killer?

michael

I'm getting close to renewal time, the pull of the 3G iPhone is strong but I like my N95 so the N96 seems like a natural move... but I've just discovered the Samsung i8510 and it looks like it could be a worthy contender.

4xQ3fRajJO4

http://www.slashphone.com/samsung-unveils-the-samsung-i8510-8-megapixel-camera-phone-codename-innov8-241006

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=4993

I quite like the Tocca but the lack of GPS means it's not in the running for me.

My N95 away for repair at the moment, this is what I have instead... (just add dirt, hair and germs to the picture, it's a loan phone)

http://www.ereyon.com.tr/ProductImages/40536/MOTC140.jpg

I'm missing the technology and am too scared to touch the C140, it's grim :)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the HTC Diamond Touch, looks very much like the iphone once you get the software running sweetly, plus it is a little more suited to non-apple people :)

dY-cu7BvFZw

xE23duRUnuA

m-NFweHBe0w

Features

battery life:

* talk time 4.6 hours

* standby 7.9 days

weight: 110g

features:

* 3.15 Megapixel camera

* 3G

* Autofocus

* Bluetooth technology

* Built in GPS with A-GPS

* EDGE

* email

* FM Radio RDS

* GPRS

* HSDPA, 7.2Mbps

* internal memory 4GB

* Java™ capable

* MP3 player

* Pocket Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PDF viewer)

* polyphonic ring tones

* speaker phone

* TFT Touchscreen

* TouchFLO 3D finger swipe navigation

* USB compatible

* vibrating alert

* Video Calling

* video capture

* Video Messaging

* Video playback

* wap

* Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g

I haven't done the appropriate groundwork but have nokia scrapped the idea of freeview? On the site the Samsung is listed on i clicked on "N96" and read the preview features and it wasn't mentioned. Thought that would be a pretty big advertising thing for the phone if it was going ahead. If not then it doesn't seem much different from the N95.

I'm really liking that samsung though. Samsung were always the nicest phones IMO, they dropped behind a little bit with technology, well i think everyone did when the N95 came out, but they seem to be pulling back really strongly.

I'm not due one for ages anyway so can only give my mind treats.

I haven't done the appropriate groundwork but have nokia scrapped the idea of freeview?

No, it's still in there as being one of the main features - having tried Freeview in a relatively static environment on a laptop with a fairly big aerial and being disappointed I really can't see the N96 offering anything but frustration.

Nokia keep saying they have some major stuff coming towards the end of the year but aren't being very specific, silly really because people like me will wait if something magical is about to be released, if they don't tell us we'll end up switching to the iPhone, this Samsung or the fancy Sony one.

No, it's still in there as being one of the main features - having tried Freeview in a relatively static environment on a laptop with a fairly big aerial and being disappointed I really can't see the N96 offering anything but frustration.

Yeah i agree, it has me curious though. I do like my N95, i just hope the N96 is a much more powerful version as i feel it has all the right applications without the actual processing power to do it properly.

Nokia keep saying they have some major stuff coming towards the end of the year but aren't being very specific, silly really because people like me will wait if something magical is about to be released, if they don't tell us we'll end up switching to the iPhone, this Samsung or the fancy Sony one.

In fairness they did the same a year or so before the N95 and they didn't disappoint. Whatever they release thats "new" will most likely be as buggy as the first N95's so it may be an idea to get the phone you like now and wait till the middle of next year to get the end of this years technology. That way all the bugs should have been ironed out.

Isn't the N96 out then? I'm sure a bloke at work has one! Or is that an older one?

He most likely has the N95 Black (8gb version of N95 with a few upgrades)

The N96 isn't due out till Sept/Oct and is meant to have a freeview tuner built in. The N95 can be used to watch TV over the internet but the N96 is said to work on its own.

I'm curious to see exactly how well it works though (and if it needs an aerial), saying that all the digital signals are meant to be getting boosted for the switch over so that might help.

I thought I had made up my mind by waiting for the N96 release.

A guy a work with his Mrs works for 02 so I joined their friends and family scheme, gives you 30% off all tariffs. Now I am considering 2 phones: -

N96

or

16gb 3G iPhone

The deal on the iPhone is good, as I am a new iPhone customer I would get the 16gb iPhone for £59.99 on a £45 contract (£31.50 after F&F discount)

Gives me 1200 mins 400 sms and unlimited internet, only downside is the texts, so would need to buy £7.50 bolt on for unlimited texts.

So dunno which to go for, the camera is the downside on iPhone but not really a camera user on phones.

Gives me 1200 mins 400 sms and unlimited internet, only downside is the texts, so would need to buy £7.50 bolt on for unlimited texts.

That's the thing that puts me off O2 to some degree - their packages are too rigid. The t-mobile ones are excellent because you get an allowance to spend on what you use the most, if I want to spend £250 a month on text messages I can, if I want to spend that on calls the month after I can do that... I don't want to have to pay more to get more texts and then leave 1190 minutes of calls free each month. I know it's a telephone and all that but I don't like speaking to people if I can help it ;)

I do like that idea. So a financial budget, rather than lots of different tariffs etc. Set your budget and its up to you what you use. Excellent.

I may have to leave Vodafone after all these years to get myself on to a more efficient service. All these phones sound great, and I'm not bothered about the camera, as they are all a bit pants IMO.

That's the thing that puts me off O2 to some degree - their packages are too rigid. The t-mobile ones are excellent because you get an allowance to spend on what you use the most, if I want to spend £250 a month on text messages I can, if I want to spend that on calls the month after I can do that... I don't want to have to pay more to get more texts and then leave 1190 minutes of calls free each month. I know it's a telephone and all that but I don't like speaking to people if I can help it ;)

I do like that idea. So a financial budget, rather than lots of different tariffs etc. Set your budget and its up to you what you use. Excellent.

I may have to leave Vodafone after all these years to get myself on to a more efficient service. All these phones sound great, and I'm not bothered about the camera, as they are all a bit pants IMO.

I asked vodafone to match the T-Mobile deal and they wouldn't do it. I'm tied into a contract too, wonder if T-Mobile would buy it out lol.

As soon as my contract is up with vodafone i'm moving over to T-Mobile. I wouldn't touch the Iphone with a barge pole though, i just plain don't like it. When i first saw it advertised in the states it really appealed to me but after having a go i really couldn't live with it.

My Wife's brother just got one on an O2 Contract, his GF works with O2 and he got a great deal on it. 500 mins, 1000 txts, unlimited internet and free Iphone for £25. Wonder why yours is so expensive Mark?

I'm not bothered about the camera, as they are all a bit pants IMO.

Mmm, I really like the N95 camera to be honest - so much so that if I'm going out for the day I'll leave the real camera at home because it does a decent enough job for viewing on a PC. The Samsung looks even more impressive on the comparison shots and has quite a lot of options that are usually lacking on a phone camera.

But if it doesn't bother you you are in an even better place than me, even more choice :)

I wouldn't touch the Iphone with a barge pole though, i just plain don't like it. When i first saw it advertised in the states it really appealed to me but after having a go i really couldn't live with it.

I'm the opposite to you, I didn't like the idea of them when I read about them and saw pictures but now I've actually played with one for a reasonable amount of time I think it would really meet my needs. It's a bit of a fashion accessory for some though.

I love the camera on my tocco as well, it's far better than my ageing digital camera!!

I can't help seeing the iPhone as a bit of a fad still, why not just get an iTouch or iPod or something (or maybe even a good MP3 player) and a good mobile? And all mobiles have MP3 facility now as well anyway.

Mmm, I really like the N95 camera to be honest - so much so that if I'm going out for the day I'll leave the real camera at home because it does a decent enough job for viewing on a PC. The Samsung looks even more impressive on the comparison shots and has quite a lot of options that are usually lacking on a phone camera.

But if it doesn't bother you you are in an even better place than me, even more choice :)

I suppose I am saying that on past experience of the cameras on my phones. I don't think that the quality of the shots is that bad at all, its just the focusing/shooting time that annoys me. By the time I've taken the shot, sometimes the moment's passed.

If they have improved on that, then my choice would've narrowed again :)

I do carry around a 12mp digital camera, and an iPod Nano too, so an all in one would be a real advantage!

Agreed, it is just with the iPhone though they will not budge. realisticly I only need maybe 3-400 mins and about 1000 texts. :(

I know on the normal contracts they can mix and match if you threaten to leave, but where the iPhone is concerned it is a case of "bugger off then".