The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DC2 squeek / whine. Alternator bearing?

Ian W

Had the DC2 serviced recently and basically, I've got this whine/squeek that is really starting to annoy me.

My mechanic thinks it sounds like and is likely to be the alternator bearing as it definitely sounds like it's an auxillary (sp?) driven noise.

Anyone had a similar problem or other possibilities?

The noise is only present at idle and quietens down up to 1500 where it disappears.

Cheers

Ian

• 9 months later...

As mentioned before, take the belt off, check for play and stiffness in the altenator pulley, and just start it up for a few second's with the belt off, and out of the way, and see if it still does it. Check your idle'r, tensioner and PAS pump too, and Air Con if its got it

well to be honest while i was working at honda the integra had very few problems but the only 2 things that did go on them was the internal coil pack and the alternator bearing.

i can pretty much say it will be the bearing for sure

oh and if your car every dies usually after a bit of high rev driving and then will turn over but wont start that will be the coil pack/ignitor

like i said though they are really the only two faults

You could try it i suppose, you know where it is? Back of the engine passenger side iirc

It is indeed.

My problem would be knowing where to actually squirt the WD40 (don't really want to be squirting it where i shouldn't be)