The mkiv Supra Owners Club

electric guitar, string bending advice?

chilli

Hi, recently got an electric guitar (Yamaha Pacifica) to play.

Been practising the David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) classic solo from Another Brick in the Wall part 2 http://www.myguitarsolo.com/Tabs/001htm/PinkFloyd/AnotherBrickII.htm - which is a fantastic solo from an amazing musician and guitar player.

Whilst I'm more than happy to admit this is way beyond my skill level, I can play most of it and with more practice it's going to sound reasonable I think, but...

The solo has 2 1/2 (5 semitone!) bends in it and I just can't seem to pull them off. When attempting I'm bending the strings so hard I'm worried they will snap, it's killing my fingers and the string with most of the bends (5th string) is going out of tune with all the stress of it.

I know there are a few musicians on here, has anyone got any advice on how to play this properly without breaking a string, the guitar or a finger!?

It could be that your strings are too thick? Try changing to a set of 8s or 9s

You can get away with bending the high E or B strings 5 semitones but that'd probably be the limit until it your fingers reach the top of the fretboard :lol:

Alternatively, it might be that he played the solo originally on a guitar with a floyd rose, and used the trem to 'bend' the string up that far??

Hi mate, i've never heard of bending a string that far, i've had a look at the tab and unless i'm being blind, i can't see that bend anywhere

Hi,

well I think it's in the 11th bar from the start of the actual solo - it's on the B string on the 13th played like this:

13th bend full (whole tone) up and release

13th bend 2 (2 whole tones) up

13th bend 2 1/2 (2 and half whole tones) up and release

13th bend (1 whole tone) up hold

I can do 1/2, whole tone and even 1 1/2 but 2 and 2 1/2 tones is really difficult!

I've just noticed this song is actually cited on the wikipedia under string bending http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_vibrato

"Bending is usually limited to 1-2 semitones, but 3 semitone bends are not uncommon and skilled players occasionally use bends of as much as 5 semitones[1] (the interval of a perfect fourth) as can be heard in the solo played by David Gilmour on the song "Another Brick In the Wall Pt.2" from Pink Floyd's album "The Wall." Bending in general, but especially large bends of 3 or more semitones, puts stress on the strings which often causes them to go out of tune and increases the likelihood of string breakage."

I've not had a string break (yet) but I can sense it's a matter of time lol

It could be that your strings are too thick? Try changing to a set of 8s or 9s

You can get away with bending the high E or B strings 5 semitones but that'd probably be the limit until it your fingers reach the top of the fretboard :lol:

Alternatively, it might be that he played the solo originally on a guitar with a floyd rose, and used the trem to 'bend' the string up that far??

I'm using 9's at the moment, I could go and get a set of 8s to see if that helps

My guitar is nothing too fancy (think it was originally played on a les paul?)

I think it's actually meant to be played bent at the string, not on a tremelo arm (if you hear it, you can tell) but anyway my guitar only has a tremelo that goes down in pitch I think (and I don't use it much so I've not fitted the arm)

I was going to mention picking an easyer song to play :D

lol - that's what my other half said, but I love his style and that solo and thought it would really stretch my skills (and also my strings so it turns out) to give it a go.

trying something really hard can only make you loads better (or really frustrated until you give up) I was thinking.

I'm using 9's at the moment, I could go and get a set of 8s to see if that helps

Remember to adjust your action, watch your intonation and maybe tweak your truss rod slightly when making gauge changes yet retaining the same tuning! :)

I work in a guitar shop and the amount of set-ups I've had to do to people's instruments because they perform maintenance without correct procedure is quite frightening :lol:

As for a 5 semitone bend, just make sure to reinforce your 3rd finger with your first and middle fingers :)

I'd say if you're having trouble bending a few semitones work up your gauge of string. Most people start on 8's, then work to 9's and then a nice set of Slinky 10's is my favourite :-)

Then re-string to a gauge 8 and things appear to be a lot lighter and easier...

As someone said I doubt you'll snap a string unless you're literally trying to bend it off the neck and if it is breaking the string's probably too old. Should change them every 6 weeks if you're being serious with your sound

Hi,

I'm fairly sure this is a 5 semitone bend with no assistance of the tremelo arm - for this particular piece anyway

been practicing some more and I'm getting the hang of 4 semitone bends - so I'm almost there, that extra semitone really seems to stress things out though, so I might try dropping to 8s

if I change from 9s to 8s, will I need to make any adjustments? Intonation was spot on when I got it from new (guy in the shop set it all up), will that all need to be redone too?

cheers for all the help, gaining confidence and some ability to play this solo now :)

Guest dangerousandy

I have a rare early 80's Fender Stratocaster (Jap version) with the Fender locking trem (NOT Floyd Rose) and I have this fitted with 008's and I can just about bend them 5 semitones.........and I have been playing Guitar since I was 10 (16 years for those who dont know my age :p ) bending strings this far will not do them much good and unless your guitar has a locking tremolo it will knock it out of tune very fast.

I have a rare early 80's Fender Stratocaster (Jap version) with the Fender locking trem (NOT Floyd Rose) and I have this fitted with 008's and I can just about bend them 5 semitones.........and I have been playing Guitar since I was 10 (16 years for those who dont know my age :p ) bending strings this far will not do them much good and unless your guitar has a locking tremolo it will knock it out of tune very fast.

thanks mate, it's good to know at least that this is an exceptional bend - I thought I was doing something wrong.

I can just about do 4 semitones with my 9s but I've not got a locking bridge :(

maybe it will be time for a better guitar - for now I'll try to improvise around that bit so as not to wreck my guitar (which I think it will do over time!)

I'll pick up some 8s though on the weekend, it's got to be worth trying.

Are 8s as thin as you can go? any major disadvantages other than a slightly weedier sound?

I restring every 2 weeks :o :lol:

blimey when I used to play I never restrung. I got this new Yamaha complete with a set of 9s fitted about say 3 months ago - so it's about time to replace anyway?

Should I redo the intonation and adjust truss rod to change from 9s to 8s

also, should I restring 1 string at a time to maintain tension on the neck? what's the best way to go about it?

blimey when I used to play I never restrung. I got this new Yamaha complete with a set of 9s fitted about say 3 months ago - so it's about time to replace anyway?

Should I redo the intonation and adjust truss rod to change from 9s to 8s

also, should I restring 1 string at a time to maintain tension on the neck? what's the best way to go about it?

Well, depends on how much you sweat, how acidic your sweat is and how often you play really. I play for a few hours every day. I also gig often and so like to retain decent brightness for gigging (and recording).

Run your fingers along the underside of the strings - most easily noticeable on the plain strings - and if they feel in any way coarse, change them. I always just do a full restring rather than changing just one as I like a consistent balance of brightness across all strings ;)

If you comfortably know what you are doing with regards to intonation and truss rod adjustment, do it. If it's set up properly/correctly just now and you change gauge without changing tuning, it WILL be different. Even if only just, but still. :)

As for 1 at a time or all at once, if you are restringing within the same year and not changing all of a sudden to a tropical climate, you'll have nothing to worry about when taking all 6 off at once. :lol: :)

This also allows for you to polish the frets, condition the fretboard and clean any grime off of the neck without having old strings in the way.