The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PAS cooling?

Ark

I think I need to chill my PAS fluid for track use, but also I think it'll be handy to be able to ditch the PAS cooler in front of the radiator.

I found this funky water-cooled PAS tank - useful or junk?

As a side question, where does everyone tap a water feed and return for such kit?

The heat energy that needs dissipating from the PAS is relatively trivial and the cooling system will easily cope unless you are running a big HP engine. Don't forget, the coolant packages on modern cars have to cope with a full load, maximum performance in Death Valley, so they have a lot of overhead on this shivering little island. The heat from the auto transmission fluid is FAR greater, and it'll cope with that :)

It is a neat solution, using what you have existing already, but I wouldnt say aftermarket rads where useless,

It depends on if the aftermarket rad has a bigger surface area, there were tests done via SAE a good few years ago, the increase in surface area aided cooling whereas increasing the thickness of the cores aided in only a fraction of the bigger surface area, result was both aided, but bigger surface area is the way to go(but were all limited by space)

In our type of cars CW solution is a good un, but anything to reduce water temps is a good thing i.e keep all other heat sources away

If you can get your hands on an auto rad, something else to throw into the works, your coolant is already getting heated in spirited runs via the wrap around at the oil filter housing, so if you have retained this then the auto rad would be a good solution as the oil temp will be a lot higher than the PAS fluid could ever be

Sorry its confusing reading what I wrote myself;)

What I meant was if its easy for you to get your hands on an auto rad, then go for it (if its going to be more expensive than just adding an PAS cooler then dont)

My reasoning is the coolant is in a similar situation already getting heated via the oil at the oil filter housing, oil temps on spiritied runs/track are say generally around 100C, so any heat exchanged here would surpass what the PAS oil temp could throw at it, therefore using the bottom section of the auto rad for the PAS would be ok

I still say that if you can locate a dedicated PAS cooler in an ducted area, it would be slightly more beneficial than using the auto rad, but the differences to a road going car would be negligable