The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Difference between resigning and serving notice

shaf

my contract says 4 weeks.... but in light of certain things, contracts arent worth the paper they are written on

says nothing in regards to not seeing out my notice period

If you signed a contract which says 4 weeks then unless otherwise authorised are supposed to do those 4 weeks.

You would need to check with your HR department to see what can be done to leave sooner.

Whats wrong with doing the 4 weeks?

well the company i have worked for 8 years for announced upcoming redundancies about 2 months ago. saying that we are in our consultation period. since then, they have messed everyone about and not answered any direct questions or given dates on when and who were being made redundant.

as such, when i start a new job, i just want to walk out by handing in my resignation and sticking 2 fingers up at them. basically by showing the same amount of respect and courtesy that they have shown to their employees

as such, when i start a new job, i just want to walk out by handing in my resignation and sticking 2 fingers up at them. basically by showing the same amount of respect and courtesy that they have shown to their employees

Would that not be shooting yourself in the foot.

If you are being made redundant then with 8 years service you are entitled to a payout, I would sit tight and get as much money as you can ;)

I have been made redundant and it worked out very nicely, some companies even offer retention bonuses etc where you stay a little longer to help out etc.

The 1st thing people do is generally get upset/angry and leave, this is the best thing for the company as they then dont have to pay out etc.

My advise would be sit tight and get whats owing to you.

The company may be able to sue you for damages if you do not work your notice period.

With the potential redundancies, they may agree to put something in writing if you want to leave without working at least statutory notice.

Strangely, I had someone leave this morning a day before I was about to lay them off indefinately. It suited me to let them go without notice.

With regards the delays in redundancy consultation, we have been going through this for the last couple of months. It is not easy choosing who, when and how with redundancies, especially with the minefield that is employment law nowadays. Having people come to you daily asking if they are losing their job is not pleasant, but you absolutely have to make the right decision which can take time.

Would that not be shooting yourself in the foot.

If you are being made redundant then with 8 years service you are entitled to a payout, I would sit tight and get as much money as you can ;)

I have been made redundant and it worked out very nicely, some companies even offer retention bonuses etc where you stay a little longer to help out etc.

The 1st thing people do is generally get upset/angry and leave, this is the best thing for the company as they then dont have to pay out etc.

My advise would be sit tight and get whats owing to you.

8 years = something in the region of (max cap) £2650 (+/- unpaid/worked holiday capped at £331 per unpaid week depending on your salary/contract) if you are relying on the government to bail you out (this will not be paid if you simply walk out - you need to be made redundant). You may have more luck if the company is expecting to remain solvent after letting you go though :). Potential benefits and NI contributions can get screwed if you just walk out (plus check conditions on any form of unemployment insurance you may have on credit agreements/mortgage - you will find they take a dim view of you walking out as that is self inflicted unless you take someone to a tribunal and claim constructive dismissal... good lord almost not worth the hassle there :().

wez - yeah i appreciate what you are saying and having taken 2 months to think about it, it looks like they will be keeping most people on. however, they have wound up a lot of people including myself by going about it in this way. they should have made the announcement once they were certain and knew. not just shout about it and then when the time comes, to just shut up shop.

anyhow, all things considered, i dont think i am being made redundant now. however have started looking elsewhere and when the time comes want to know where i stand if i just walk out.

tom - thanks for the advice, gives me some more perspective on the situation

sd - thanks for that. yeah the redundancy money is not an issue as its peanuts in the grand scheme of things. i am underpaid as it is and moving jobs will gain me about 5k extra per year anyway. but yeah i can see where not serving my notice period may be more of an issue

going through the same thing at my company

email sent out with a link (important news on link)

link says that due to limited amounts of projects there will be redundancies. Scroll down.... oh and a 3% across the board increase - all on the same link. With a note saying that salaries will be reviewed again after the redundancies have been finalised.

I was happy to take voluntary redundancy if I went straight onto garden leave. Gives me 3 months of, paid for!

Lot of people here are VERY pissed off, especially with the way it has been handled.

My role is not up for redundancy, all based on roles :(

anyhow, all things considered, i dont think i am being made redundant now. however have started looking elsewhere and when the time comes want to know where i stand if i just walk out.

If you don't think you're going to be made redundant is it not better to approach them for a voluntary package (if it should happen)? Then at least someone who did want to stay wouldn't be out of a job?

When you get made redundant you don't have to give notice anyway so maybe that's a better option?

It sounds as if you have been messed about but it's better for you to remain professional despite probably feeling emotional about it all.

thanks for the input graham, alright for some i suppose :D

yeah fair point charlotte. at the moment im unsure of what to do, i wont leave until i have another job lined up obviously so am just letting things pan out and waiting to see what happens. i have kicked up a fuss previously but nothing changed with dates etc so have just given up and started to look elsewhere