The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Emanage Ultimate 2JZGTE vvti

Guest vazoosh

Guest vazoosh

Hi All,

I would just like to ask you supra guys a few questions.

My Toyota Aristo JZS161 2JZGTE vvti is waiting to be tuned and has had the EMU installed, we had some base problems which seem to be sorted but my tuner said that the car will not run if you put ignition through it but will run without it?

I was wondering whether the problem would be having to get an Ignition Signal Adaptor (i dont know whether this is required on the 2JZGTE vvti?) or do you think its some other problem?

As i said everything else is set up ok but its the problem with the ignition. I really hope someone can help me with this issue or point me in the right direction, many thanks in advance

Guest vazoosh
I know there are definite issues with the UK spec ign signal and EMU as well as the VVTI but if it has been overcome, I'm sure somebody here will know.

thats what i'm hoping, not many people in the UK have the vvti so i'll appreciate any help at all :blink:

Guest vazoosh
Do you have one of these fitted?

15901504 GREDDY E-Manage Ultimate Injector Adapter 2

Yes, i'm sure this is fitted as i made the tuners aware that i required one.

Its the ignition side, car wont run with the ignition on, i'm wondering if i require some sort of sensor?

But i have read vvti doesnt need the ignition sensor adapter:search:

Guest vazoosh
I had my VVTi running an emanage ultimate without the signal adapter. Have you checked the settings on the jumpers?

Thats what i thought, the vvti doesnt require one. I'll have to ask the tuners if they have checked what you have mentioned.

What are the settings on the jumpers?I need help!!lol

Guest vazoosh

Just received a PM off Ian C regarding the problem and he told me

"There is a problem with UK spec Supras where they won't spark as soon as you wire in the ignition part of an E-Manage"

I was wondering whether any of you have had this problem with the EMU and whether it was resolved?

Please Help!!!!!!

Guest vazoosh
I got it running, but found that I was struggling with the stock ECU learning, and decided to just change plans...

What were you struggling on?

Someone else must have one working on the vvti:Pling:

Guest vazoosh

Hey people,

Guess what?

Finally the EMU is installed with no problems.

My tuners got around the ignition problem. I dont know what the solution was as yet. Hopefully i pick the car up next week after its had its dyno run and barring any problems i'll find out exactly what the problem was!

• 2 months later...
Guest vazoosh

Hey, only just found out what we had to do to sort out the ignition problem.

Basically you have to set the jumper for the ignition voltage at 12v even though it is recommended to set it at 5V.

It is jumper 8.

Hey, only just found out what we had to do to sort out the ignition problem.

Basically you have to set the jumper for the ignition voltage at 12v even though it is recommended to set it at 5V.

It is jumper 8.

I doubt it was just that, if it was why have so many UK spec Supras had ign problems, all Supra TT don't like to be run on the 6V setting.

I dont know if this helps or is of any relavance, but i've installed a Greddy Emanage Ultimate on Lexus IS200 1GFE VVTi.

I had the same problem getting the ignition side of things to work and i found it WAS the jumper settings.

The Emanage manual suggests the ignition output signal should be set to "5V" and if you measure the voltage to the coil packs its 5V's. But that wouldnt work si i found somewhere on the net (cant remember where) that suggested that regardless of the valtage you should use the "12V" setting as its more a regualtor rather that supply voltage.

I changed the jumper over and she fired up a treat. not had any problems since.

Hope this helps.

Stav

Edit: just noticed you (vazoosh) raised the same question in the Aristo part of the LexusOwnersClub forum. and i told you the same thing two months ago.

Edited by sparkystav (see edit history)

Guest vazoosh

Yeah thanks stav, i hadn't been on the lexus forums for while and must have missed it at the time but what you said was spot on!!

I did hear the lexus IS had the same prob with the EMU too as you stated.

It was a simple solution and you're the one that knew about it from the start, go sparky!!:smartass:

Guest vazoosh
Lol its ok, messed me up for a while as well,

then found it mentioned somewhere on the net and tried it, it worked spot on.

Stav

I'm just glad we got to the problem one way or the other, another little querie for you, as you know the aristo is auto, when i try to launch there isa delay, i put my foot down, the car revs and then all of a sudden jumps and gets going, i'm wondering if this has anything to do with the EMU?:search:

• 7 years later...

Thought I'd use this same thread. Any experts here? My friends JZS161 Aristo that I've been tuning has some strange interference in the rpm and ignition advance signal. Anybody experienced this before? Car runs fine, but seems a little strange. It starts usually when going on boost, like you can see on the log below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32139684/general/emanage.JPG

Well your divisions are set to 121 Ms so its going to exaggerate any variations, but in answer to your original question, yes i have seen similar on ignition and other traces with the EMU logging, whether its spurious or interference i don't know, but i never saw a misfire while this reading showed.

It also looks like you have the same interference on the RPM trace as well, are you using the EMU as fuel cut defender? as the airflow trace is hitting this area, and you have got the output set lower, does the JZS161 Aristo run both MAP and MAF?