The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to change KAD/AP front pads?

SteveR

I've just done my rears (thanks everyone for the advice!) and was hoping ot see 'bigger versions' when I took from front wheels off. They're somewhat different however; no pins & no mounting holes in the pads, just lots of allan key bits everywhere.

What do I need to undo/take out, in what order, and how are the pads held in place? I'm guessing totally undo 4 & 5 but would like confirmation before I bugger something up, lol!

TIA! :help: :iloveyou:

small_DSCN2273.jpg

small_DSCN2274.jpg

I thought as much. 123/678 are recessed and look like they hold stuff together. 4&5 are more 'inviting' as they're not recessed and look like they join up with the opposite side of the caliper; holding the pads in place I guess but I don't get how, lol.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated. I tried undoing 4 & 5 but they seemed pretty stuck tight so I left it for today in case I was doing something wrong. There seemed to be cap heads on the other side of the caliper too, so I wondered if I should be undoing each pair 'against' each other if you see what I mean - not necessary?

Could well be that the spacer tubes have female threads in each end, in whch case you will have trouble undoing the cao head that stays tight when the other one frees. If they have used steel cap heads they may be corroded into the tube threads, try a bit of heat.You could perhaps replace the steel cap heads with A12 ones (stainless steel) if corrosion is the problem, or make stainless spacer tubes instead or even as well as using stainless cap heads.

Could well be that the spacer tubes have female threads in each end, in whch case you will have trouble undoing the cao head that stays tight when the other one frees. If they have used steel cap heads they may be corroded into the tube threads, try a bit of heat.You could perhaps replace the steel cap heads with A12 ones (stainless steel) if corrosion is the problem, or make stainless spacer tubes instead or even as well as using stainless cap heads.

Excellent, thanks for the advice Chris it is very much appreciated. :thumbs:

How did you get on steve?,:cool:

Si - I didn't want to risk buggering something up yesterday so put it all back together. I'll have another bash later today/tonight after I've been to yours. :)