The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JamieP's New Supra Project!

JamieP

Cant you run the IC pipe downwards rather than through the inner wing?

I think that is the plan but that is what is actually causing Lee a problem. With the compressor housing oriented for the "down and under" IC piping, it hits the manifold.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your loosing the abs mate do you not need to change the master cylinder to as the non abs one has less outlets on it or is lee just going to blank the other one off ?.

This is on my list of things to do asas well

I dont think so, i read in one of Pauls threads it was just a change to some NA lines, Lee said he was going to call paul for advice as he has done this a few times now.

If your loosing the abs mate do you not need to change the master cylinder to as the non abs one has less outlets on it or is lee just going to blank the other one off ?.

This is on my list of things to do asas well

The master cylinders are the same, only two outlets. :)

Be interested to see how my exhaust fairs against the HKS 4", not a fair comparison though really. See how you go though. I can get a 4" quiet exhaust made like mine if needed of course.

Now he tells me !!...bummer . how about a part exchange .

Well you cant compare them can you, 3" versus 4", a real test is to compare another 3" exhaust with my 3" exhaust, apples with apples and all that. Depends on what power your putting out as well though, you might gain some power/torque low down and lose it top end. We'll see what Jamie's does, definately doesn't hold Steve L's Supra back and that's making well over 600bhp now, probably around 650bhp, may be more.

Now he tells me !!...bummer . how about a part exchange .

Well you cant compare them can you, 3" versus 4", a real test is to compare another 3" exhaust with my 3" exhaust, apples with apples and all that. Depends on what power your putting out as well though, you might gain some power/torque low down and lose it top end. We'll see what Jamie's does, definately doesn't hold Steve L's Supra back and that's making well over 600bhp now, probably around 650bhp, may be more.

Steve's is 650bhp easy

Must admit mine feels slower since fitting the whiftbitz exhaust but i reckon half of it is down to the fact is so quiet now and before it used to create so much noise it felt faster. The closed loop boost control has put more duty in though to gain the same boost but with an exhaust that is only 99db its bound to happen. For the price though it really is a awesome exhaust.

Will stick mine on SRR next week hopefully and see whats going on before i put on Jamies old turbo.

Ryan

Right, just to give some idea of the slight fitting issue with the new turbo.

This is the turbo sitting flush on the manifold.

With the housing rotated in this position it just fits on the manifold but is touching the number 2 runner, as you can see here.

That then gives us no clearence for the intercooler pipe to go through the wing or down.

The turbo would have to be spaced around 40mm to get the housing in the correct orientation to fit a hose on and then it would foul on the strut brace as it would be too high.

Ideally the turbo would need to be higher and further forward to make it fit better but this would require a new manifold.

The only way I can see it going on with this manifold is to space it up around 20mm and then cut the housing and welding a 45 deg elbow on to get the angle right. :)

Yes mate thats right Dose that make any difference?

No should be fine, the N/A will have 1 port going to the rear of the car then split at the back. Then the other two go to each of the front calipers.

I will check with Paul to see what he did with the others but we should be able to use 1 port to go to both front calipers by splitting it like the rears. :)

Lee, from looking on supraforum i dont think there is another option on the manifolds unless i go cast which i dont want to do, i dont mind a bit of a bend on the H cover, try to keep the spacer small as possible mate, just needs clearance for a bit of heat wrap;) Troll from Supraforum gave me this pic of his that he had to weld a bend on.

He basically cut a 90degree bend in half and welded it on.

Lee, from looking on supraforum i dont think there is another option on the manifolds unless i go cast which i dont want to do, i dont mind a bit of a bend on the H cover, try to keep the spacer small as possible mate, just needs clearance for a bit of heat wrap;) Troll from Supraforum gave me this pic of his that he had to weld a bend on.

He basically cut a 90degree bend in half and welded it on.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k353/btroll/Supra/040909%20OakesDetail/DSC_9019.jpg

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k353/btroll/Supra/040909%20OakesDetail/DSC_9022.jpg

That looks just right, will need space it up a bit to be able to rotate the housing but I will keep it as small as possible. :)

That looks just right, will need space it up a bit to be able to rotate the housing but I will keep it as small as possible. :)

Top man, you are gonna need something like this to chop up, cant see from that pic if the sidewall is gonna be thick enough to get a good weld though;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intercooler-alloy-bends-HKS-TRUST-3-to-3_W0QQitemZ350159346343QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item51871f9aa7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Jamie, I have an NA brake line (new) in my garage you can have for free. Only issue is getting it to you!

Thanks Kev, i will give you a shout if i need it.

Right, just to give some idea of the slight fitting issue with the new turbo.

This is the turbo sitting flush on the manifold.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/supralee/prob.jpg

With the housing rotated in this position it just fits on the manifold but is touching the number 2 runner, as you can see here.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/supralee/prob1.jpg

That then gives us no clearence for the intercooler pipe to go through the wing or down.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/supralee/prob2.jpg

The turbo would have to be spaced around 40mm to get the housing in the correct orientation to fit a hose on and then it would foul on the strut brace as it would be too high.

Ideally the turbo would need to be higher and further forward to make it fit better but this would require a new manifold.

The only way I can see it going on with this manifold is to space it up around 20mm and then cut the housing and welding a 45 deg elbow on to get the angle right. :)

Those BL manifolds do make the turbo sit lower than most I think, didnt have any problems with GT42RS on the HKS manifold, and that front housing is huge. Got to be the manifold design causing it.

Those BL manifolds do make the turbo sit lower than most I think, didnt have any problems with GT42RS on the HKS manifold, and that front housing is huge. Got to be the manifold design causing it.

Yeah too low and too far back, even if you space the turbo up the compressor outlet fouls on the number 1 runner. Cant win :(