The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone into Radio Controlled RC Drift Cars?

Pabs

Hi All,

For some reason the RC bug is hitting me in a different arena recently......

I'm really interested in getting an RC Drift car - and ideally not electric as I'd like nitro/petrol or whatever.

So is anyone into this and have advice/model recommendations? I've been doing some research into the HPI models and such - just intriegued (sp) to see what I can get for my money - I already have some radio gear that I could use if possible, so long as I can get servo's/receiver that are small enough to fit in the car.

Look forward to advice/pics etc :)

Ta

im very much into anything r/c. i have a dedicated drift car but it is electric, using a tamiya tt-01, fully ballraced with drift tyres on, 27t motor, upgragded prop, and lipo's. it is excellent and seems to be a very popular drift car.

I recently brought a schumacher fusion 28 nitro car, it will do 80 out the box, but by changing the clutch bell will now do over 100mph, this has so much power it will drift with the ats japanese competition foam tyres on. :)

hmmm - my only concern is where I'd be able to use it... Nitro is possibly too much power for a small space, so you'd need somewhere quite big/flat to use it.

Trouble is - I'm a petrol-head. All my RC until now has been electric - cars/boats/helicopters... I have petrol RC planes but can't fly them anywhere nowadays, so never got them off the ground. They are all secondhand sh*theaps to get me learning though, not new gear.

I'd love a Nitro RC drift car.. think they are awesome!

they are awesome, my fusion is a handfull though, traction is hard to achive. I did have a crash the other week, it had just changed into third, i went to turn right and it wouldn't so i had a choice of straight on into the curb, or hang it left , which i did, this resulted in a big crash about 70ish mph, totaly destroyed the front and rear left hand side :(, about £40 later and it was up and running again.

you don't need tons of power to drift them though, the tamiya will do a steady and constant drift all the way around the track.

if your talking road going cars then you will need a smooth flat surface like a carpark but when using nitro cars the noise can upset some people (most people:d) ive been into nitro moster trucks for a while and used to deal in them with tracie on ebay buying and selling mostly hpi savages or losi lsts which i also owned these are great fun either to race or as i prefered bashing id never go home with my truck in one piece lol :D

if your talking road going cars then you will need a smooth flat surface like a carpark but when using nitro cars the noise can upset some people (most people:d) ive been into nitro moster trucks for a while and used to deal in them with tracie on ebay buying and selling mostly hpi savages or losi lsts which i also owned these are great fun either to race or as i prefered bashing id never go home with my truck in one piece lol :D

im lucky, there is a club i go to in ipswich, it is a proper 1/10th racing curcuit. took them a long while to build but is well worth it. they are only aloud to run electric though because of the noise. i normally take my nitro's to industrial estates or supermarket car parks when they are shut.

I had a hot bodies lightning for ages 1/8th, i used to bring that back in bits most of the time too. it was strong and could do some huge jumps, but I always managed to take it to far :D

well I have quite a large carpark not too far from me (supermarket) but I understand what you mean about the noise problem!

Not really into off-road buggies and the like - although it'd be easier to find somewhere to use them.

I think I just like the full-scale options you can get/add - the flashing headlights, undercar lights, etc etc... all looks like so much fun :)

Any recommendations for which models to go for in the electric drift variety???

Thinking more and more about it, and although I'd love a nitro, I don't think I could a) justify the extra cost b) could put up with the noise and issues from neighbours etc.

The electric ones look just as good for a laugh, but there is a lot of choice!

Ta

Any recommendations for which models to go for in the electric drift variety???

Thinking more and more about it, and although I'd love a nitro, I don't think I could a) justify the extra cost b) could put up with the noise and issues from neighbours etc.

The electric ones look just as good for a laugh, but there is a lot of choice!

Ta

like is said tamiya tt-01 is good or if you want to spend about £250 the best electric drift car is the yokomo MR- 4TC i will post a link to a shop near me that sells this model.

http://www.model-junction.co.uk/yokomo_cars.htm

thanks mate - for some reason I thought a lot of people said the tt-01 were poo... but it's one of the only ones I can find.

What size servos/RX do these cars need? Are they these new micro things? Sorry - a bit out of touch here... I've got some radio gear I'd use instead if i could get the car without the radio.... save a few bob!

no probs mate, the tt-01 is excellent if set up properly, although it does lack some of the fine adjustments of say the yokomo. as for them being poo you only need to watch you tube to see how many tt-01 drift cars there are. as for servos etc, the standard one is a bit slow so a faster steering servo is a good idea, they don't have servo's for the throttle as people use electronic speed controlers nowadays. you can get a whole tt-01 package with radio gear for £160 new or the yokomo for £259. you would need a 27t turn motor or quicker but the standard esc doesn't cope with anything else. the tamiya would need a ball race kit and oil shocks purchased, but the yokomo comes fully ball raced and oil filled shocks,