The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wind Power...a fine solution...

Alex

Wind Farms etc...I know some on here are building them...and the govt is branding them as our great hope for greener cheaper energy...

...These should pretty much blow that hope away...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/03/wind_power_needs_dirty_pricey_gas_backup_report/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/20/mackay_on_carbon_free_uk/

Dear Mr. Govt.

Your solution sucks. Please think again.

NB: the basic facts are that we don't have enough wind (not inc the hot air spouted on here). At peak usage times, we generally don't have any wind to help. We'd need incredibly expensive Gas turbine systems ready to back them up for when the wind isn't blowing, but turning GT's on and off breaks them, leading to more cost...and then the other link says even if you covered all the windy bits of the UK it wouldn't give us enough power....

w00t.

Can we have our Nuclear Plants now and just be done with it? Fire the waste into space ;)

Actually I'd rather we use our drilling technology to use the power inside the earth (Geo-thermal)....or use tidal across the Severn Estuary...or wave....or all 3/4...but hey they might involve a bit of thought....

Nuclear is the best way IMO, I think I read somewhere that implimenting all these wind farms would mean energy costs would increase rather than decrease!?

Blasting the nuclear waste into space is a great idea :D. At the minute the waste is bunged in a container and buried underground. That can't be too good for the environment can it?

My grandad had an idea that would be more efficiant than wind and much more reliable than wind. However we have no idea who to take it to.

Basicly the understanding was that wind turbines are only running at 100% cap for very short times (as wind comes and goes no matter where you are)

However put this underwater and use the tide to run the propellors you would get 23 hours of 100% cap running 7 days a week!

Nuclear is the best way IMO, I think I read somewhere that implimenting all these wind farms would mean energy costs would increase!?

Blasting the nuclear waste into space is a great idea :D. At the minute the waste is bunged in a container and buried underground. That can't be too good for the environment can it?

I've wondered this, there are deep mine shafts about (by deep I mean 2km), and plenty of them, I seem to remember that a well run nuke plant generates around 100kg of non-usable waste. Surely all these deep level mines could be used... after all 100kg isn't a great deal.

Blasting into space wouldn't be a good idea... personally I wouldn't want to put 100kg of high radioactive waste onto a rocket...They haven't had a perfect launch record and it would only need 1.

Of course you're not taking into account the huge wads of money that those people with a financial interest in wind farms will be making whether they're ecologically sensible or not......

And I believe there is a general recognition that nuclear power is going to be a no-brainer in the imminent future - why do you think the US is doing their damndest to prevent countries like Iran from processing their own uranium? They can't afford to let people go off building their own nuclear power plants when they should really be licensing the technology from US companies, can they? ;)

just stick it on the moon with the other radioactive stuff up there.

However I think the tide and wind and solar power is the answer on a global front. with nuclear making up the remainder, but i believe the 3 above for the uk would be able to produce a high enough amount of energy to make a difference.

just stick it on the moon with the other radioactive stuff up there.

However I think the tide and wind and solar power is the answer on a global front. with nuclear making up the remainder, but i believe the 3 above for the uk would be able to produce a high enough amount of energy to make a difference.

Are solar panels at a point these days where they actually make a profit? I'm sure they cost more to manufacture than you'll ever recover from them through their useful life.

I agree with Charlotte too, windfarms look good. My parents would far sooner have a windfarm in their back garden than the pylon they're stuck with! :)

Nuke me up baby.

Has anyone ever noticed that the scum environmentalists never come up with their own answers to our energy needs? What ever gets the nod gets shouted down in a hailstorm of doomongery.

In any case over population is also a cause of our problems so perhaps we could cull environmentalists and conspiracy nutjobs. Just think of all the red tape we could save too with them out of the picture...