The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another 'What car should I get?'

marc_p

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

£20k would get you a lurvely Vette, even a rag top like Soop Doggs, fast, reliable, stunning looks, awesome sound, need I go on :D

You mean this one?

:innocent:

Unless someone offers me something appreciably over 20k in the next 24 hrs, I think it's already sold, mate.

:(

But then I'll be on the way to getting the next 'vette!

:D

You mean this one?

:innocent:

Unless someone offers me something appreciably over 20k in the next 24 hrs, I think it's already sold, mate.

:(

But then I'll be on the way to getting the next 'vette!

:D

Yes that one :D

If I was in the market for a head-turning reliable supercar it'd be at the top of my list

id be more than happy to pull up at a school reunion in my supra. i went through a similar situation to yours a few years back but decided instead of spending a small fortune on a car i wuold put it aside until the time came to buy a house. so i only spent £5900 of it on a supra and last year put a large deposit on a run down house and used the money (which i was gona spend on a car) to fund the renovation. the house is almost complte now and i am so glad i decided against the expensive car which at the time i was dead set on getting.

also i noticed youmentioned getting a £10k loan for the car?! thats a lo of money to borrow just to impress your old classmates. how about scrapping the loan and finding yourself a higher self esteam???

ive jus turned 22 and im in the same situation as you i wouldnt go for the car wait. I bust my balls of to save 50k 40k will def go on property and maybe 10k on a nice car plus what ever i get for my sup. But if i spend all on the property i dnt care as i know i wouny lose. Trust me i didnt wana listen to anyone either but the more i looked at it the more it made sense. I already have 1property i bought 2years ago and im glad i got that too be smart about it. Plus you already have a sup which is a kool car.

The thing is, I went to a school where everyone had everything bought for them by mummy and daddy, I had to get my money myself, so I was working while they were partying, then in sixthform there parents were buying them brand new flashy cars and my parent's didn't have the money so I bought my first car myself and the insurance/petrol. I was allways looked down on by the 'rich kids', I wasn't amazingly smart when it came to exam's, everyone assumed (including most teachers) that I would amount to nothing, so I feel that I want to prove them wrong.

If that's the case, I'd still rock up in the Supra. Some people at my school had everything handed to them on a plate by Mummy and Daddy while I struggled to get a car on the road. They might be driving round in brand new Audi A3's now that Daddy bought them for passing their degrees, but I'd far sooner have my "piece of jap crap" that I paid for myself (and is quicker/better looking :D).

also i noticed youmentioned getting a £10k loan for the car?! thats a lo of money to borrow just to impress your old classmates. how about scrapping the loan and finding yourself a higher self esteam???

It seems to me you are prepared to go in to debt to the tune of £10k to, putting it succinctly,impress your "mates" for one night?

I know you would use and enjoy the car for the time you own it, but reading between the lines, this seems your primary motivation?

As another poster said, get a taxi and have a laugh with your "mates". I know mates of mine wouldn't give a fook what I drive, and vice versa.

If this reunion turns in to a show of a "look at my was/loadsamoney" farce, I'd rather give it a miss and go and polish a turd..................:)

Scenario 1...you turn up and everyone's a fair bit away from the car park/playground, no one will see what you've got anyway. (And no one cares)

Scenario 2...

You: "yeah Tarquin- Mark, it's me-Mark- how's you? Been a few years hasn't it- look I've just bought a fezza... (code for: I'm not really a c#ck / please like me / I need your approval)

Tarquin: "Hello Mark, good to see you, so what have you been.."

You: "It's just round the corner. Obviously I have a Supra too, but.."

Tarquin: "Nice one Mark. Good to see you. Bye now"

3 seconds later...

You: " Erm..Pierre...how's you? Cor petrol prices are on the up arent they? Dya know that it costs me £90 to fill up the old fezza and another thing...Pierre??"

You've got a great car already chap, go in it.

Or has been suggested, take a taxi and have a great time :)

I know you want a flash car, but speaking from experience (of having the chance to put a lot money away and never doing it :rolleyes:), save the money for two years and laugh as the house prices fall. Then use your huge deposit and parent's contribution to get a good mortage deal on a house that'll be much more impressive than a ton of steel. :)

You probably won't take this advice (I was offered the same advice and ignored it when I was your age - well, older probably), but you'll have more money to burn for the next 25+ years if you make the right decision now.

This is very good advice. What if you meet a girl and want to move in together? Things change very quickly at your age!! You are also assuming that you will always be employed......;)

[ANGRY][/ANGRY]

The stupid thing is that I know your completely right, but I just have this urge, i'll keep on looking at cars and see what my financial situation is like in 9 months time.

Short term impressions will leave a long term problem. I have invested some money in a building project lately in an attempt to raise some cash, once I get that cash I'll invest it again. I keep looking at Ferrari 355's but I know that it would be irresponsible for my to blow all my capital on a depreciating asset...!!

I'd far sooner have my "piece of jap crap" that I paid for myself (and is quicker/better looking :D).

But it is pink.....:D

H.