The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another 'What car should I get?'

marc_p

Ok, firstly, I will tell you the reason for the sort of car i'm looking for, I am currently 21 years old and still live with my parent's:( I need to move out by the time I'm 23 (as my parent's are moving down south then) and get a mortgage (luckily my parents said they will pay for half of whatever place i decide to move to) but before I do so I want to get something really flashy as a weekend car while I can still afford it before I move out. So I need input off people who have had experiance with the following cars and tell me what they think (reliability is the biggest issue) I dont need speed as long as the car has a bit of poke that's fine for me, I just want something that is fun to drive.

Anyway the cars I have decided on are:

TVR Tamora

Lotus Exige

Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (996)

Ferrari 308 GTS/GTB (reliability goes out the window for this one)

Oh and I may have a school reunion at the end of next year so need something that makes a big impact :D Plus this is not a replacement for the Supra.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why dont you save up and assist your parents with the purchase of the house, you may be able to get a better place, nice problem though

Well the reason for generosity off my parent's is that they bought an old falling down farm house and barn for a pittance and I have helped them convert the barn into a house and bring the house upto scratch, and it is now valued at 10x what they paid for it:blink:, so when they move they said they will match whatever I put towards a house.

Anyway the cars I have decided on are:

TVR Tamora

Lotus Exige

Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (996)

Ferrari 308 GTS/GTB (reliability goes out the window for this one)

None of the above, but if you MUST choose one of those I'd have to go witih a porsche as much as I dont like them. The rest just makes no sense in terms of practicality and aren't good looking or exotic enough in my opinion to justify the running costs.

Hiya Marc. :twak: :D Nice problem, easy answer - Porsche - Exige is full on, uncomfortable and will suffer the normal reliability issues. Ferrari = Italian electrics :rolleyes:, TVR nuff said :D.

Keep us up to date though y'git. :D

The porsche is winning so far,the ferrari was just wishful thinking as whatever you pay for them is just a down payment for running costs.

Basically I will be looking to spend around 20k give or take 4k On something that won't lose value as quickly as the supe:d.

Have you have insurance quotes on a 911/Ferrari/TVR at 21 years of age etc or are M+D paying for that to ?

Nope, i'm paying for it, parents have never paid for anything like that for me before I always pay for my own cars and whatever goes with them. Oh and the insurance on the 911, lotus and TVR was fine (less than the supe for the 911 and lotus:rolleyes:) but I will be waiting until I'm 22 (7 months away).

I know you want a flash car, but speaking from experience (of having the chance to put a lot money away and never doing it :rolleyes:), save the money for two years and laugh as the house prices fall. Then use your huge deposit and parent's contribution to get a good mortage deal on a house that'll be much more impressive than a ton of steel. :)

You probably won't take this advice (I was offered the same advice and ignored it when I was your age - well, older probably), but you'll have more money to burn for the next 25+ years if you make the right decision now.

I wish I had problems like that...

If it were me, I'd put the money into a better house / furnishings / Supra.

If it's so important that you show off to your old classmates, how about hiring / borrowing something flash? I'd turn up in the Supra, personally, but then again, I always hung around with the metalheads & retards at school and still look like I should be driving a clapped out bag of shite (shut it you...)

[ANGRY][/ANGRY]

I know you want a flash car, but speaking from experience (of having the chance to put a lot money away and never doing it :rolleyes:), save the money for two years and laugh as the house prices fall. Then use your huge deposit and parent's contribution to get a good mortage deal on a house that'll be much more impressive than a ton of steel. :)

You probably won't take this advice (I was offered the same advice and ignored it when I was your age - well, older probably), but you'll have more money to burn for the next 25+ years if you make the right decision now.

The stupid thing is that I know your completely right, but I just have this urge, i'll keep on looking at cars and see what my financial situation is like in 9 months time.

The stupid thing is that I know your completely right, but I just have this urge, i'll keep on looking at cars and see what my financial situation is like in 9 months time.

I like the saying 'In order to be older and wiser, you must've been young and foolish.' I think it depends on the type of person you are - if you know you'll kick yourself for chucking money into a car five years down the line, don't do it - if you're fairly sure you'll have no regrets, enjoy it while you're young. :)

£20k! Lucky guy;) But seriously im a similar age as you and i would save that money for a rainy day. I do spend allot of my earnings on my car, but not that much...

Now in order to show off at your school reunion then i would just simply hire a nice porsche for a few days and pull up in that. (If it was my school reunion i firstly wouldn't turn up but if i did and in a porsche then some jealous scum would probably damage it in someway by the end of the night)

£20k! Lucky guy;) But seriously im a similar age as you and i would save that money for a rainy day. I do spend allot of my earnings on my car, but not that much...

Now in order to show off at your school reunion then i would just simply hire a nice porsche for a few days and pull up in that. (If it was my school reunion i firstly wouldn't turn up but if i did and in a porsche then some jealous scum would probably damage it in someway by the end of the night)

There would be a 10k loan involved aswell, but I'm thinking now that once the civic has been finished I might get a nice manual TT.

This is the problem I change my mind day to day.

well I for one will tell you that you wont get insured on a TVR at 21. I am having enough problems at 24

The Tamora wasn't so bad, it was about 2k FC next year, but the Porsche would be £900:blink: Thats less than the supra

The Tamora wasn't so bad, it was about 2k FC next year, but the Porsche would be £900:blink: Thats less than the supra

who was that with out of interest?

Yeah the Porsche should be a bit lower I got quoted £550 on an 964 Turbo! My RZ insurance was £1080!