The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I buy an Astra VXR or a Clio & a cheap Supra?

marbleapple

Hi all,

I have been looking for a new car for a while and with my company car going back in August I need to make a decision on what to get. I have narrowed the options down to either:

1. Astra VXR

or

2. An old Clio (£4000) and a cheap Supra (£4000)

I just wondered what peoples preference would be?

I can't get an expensive supra as its not really practical for my needs. My plan would be to have the Clio for everyday and the supra for weekends etc. Alternatively with the Astra I'd have it all the time.

I would also appreciate peoples opinions on what would turn out cheaper to run... The 2 cars or the Astra.

Astra FTW. Ignore the people who can't see past two turbos. It won't be as fast ultimately but it'll be nippier in pretty much every situation bar a motorway pull.

Plus you get a decent enough boot and practicality.

Will drink petrol though.

Old diesel and Supra?

Thanks guys, the advice and info is appreciated. I have an SRI and I love it, I imagine the vxr will be better.

I did look at a 2nd hand r32 but they are just out of my price league.

Petrol is never an issue really, I only did 8k miles last year. My main concern is MOT, services and the like.I just cant get my head around what will work out cheaper, 2 cars or the Astra.

Rob... Would you still be of that opinion if it were an N/A?

Oh and the Clio is because Clare has to drive it too(and she thinks they are pretty)

Thanks guys, the advice and info is appreciated. I have an SRI and I love it, I imagine the vxr will be better.

Petrol is never an issue really, I only did 8k miles last year. My main concern is MOT, services and the like.I just cant get my head around what will work out cheaper, 2 cars or the Astra.

Oh and the Clio is because Clare has to drive it too(and she thinks they are pretty)

Yeah, pretty awful ;)

If it has to be a clio then i vote on the VXR.

I have thought of the type r but I'm presuming you mean the older rather than the newer version?

As for the sup, 0-60 wise wouldn't a VXR be Beaton an N/A? 0-60 in 6.1 secs

Yeah, a well driven VXR would have no problem against an NA (Can't see the VXR being that easy to launch though!)

Even top end on the VXR should be faster than an NA.

I did mean the 2 previous incarnations of the Civic. They're both within your budget. The EP Civic would make a great everyday car and be fun, where as the EK is maybe a little extreme.

The EK is very fast but needs revving hard in every gear to get the best out of it.

Ahh so it was me you were asking about the N/A lol.

Well, if it was between an N/A and a VXR i would have to get the VXR. The insurance will be expensive on the N/A and there will be little gain out of it. I reckon the VXR vs the N/A would be extremely close in a straight line but the modern chassis of the VXR would have it in the twisties. It would also be a lot more fun on the limit (or your limit) and easier to drive.

Saying that, the supra has a lot of road presence and it really is a stunning car.

yep I know what you mean about presence. If I had my way I'd be speaking to jurgen about that fibreglass n/a and converting it, but sadly Clare can't stand Supras and she has a huge amount of presence! - I had to fight to get her to consider a cheap one.

Anyway it looks like it'll be the VXR then. I've been offered a new Nuremburg edition for 19k so I might go see if the bank balance will stretch that far

The Astra will definately work out cheaper...and they are a cracking car.

A friends got an Astra SXi and its a very reliable workhorse...with cheap parts supplies as well.

But the Supra is better from a club cameraderie standpoint I would guess....

I'd go for the one nice car option but it wouldn't be a VXR (or a Supra).

What would you recommend then Michael?

I have considered an Impreza 2.4 WRX but i've heard that they are built out of paper.

The Vauxhall sounds nice, but everyone I've known who has owned a Vauxhall has had problems - put me off for life!

Well I have had a Vauxhall for the last 6 years and they have only been in the garage at MOT time so im not worried about reliability.

What's the budget? New or used?

The Clio / Supra combo adds up to £8k but I wasn't sure if you had more aside for the one newer car option.

How many doors do you need? Do you need a boot that's useful? Back seats?

Well I have about 14k.

If I bought 1 car then I would need a car that I can do the shopping run, an average sized boot (I hate to admit but the boot has come in handy this year), and enough ground clearence that I can drive it on the roads in Leeds. I only have 2 doors and a boot atm (SRI sports hatch) and that was fine but the back seats might/should be useful.

I also want someting with a bit of presence and plenty of power. I doubt I would be able to convince Clare to blow 14k on a 10 year old Skyline though for example.

Its not justt he buying that is the concern, its also the running and finance. For example i'd take the 14k as a loan over 4 years. The 8k for the Supra and Clio would be over 2/3 years since I wouldnt want to be keeping a clio for over 3 years.

The subaru I was looking at: http://www.waltermarks.co.uk/popup.cfm?p_n=466948&p_i=466948

Tell her they are absolutely rubbish for electrical faults. I bought my clio and then my uncle (who works for Renault) basically gave me a dressing down and told me I shouldn't have bought it because all the electrics fail. Then the driver electric window stopped working, then the speedo, then the headgasket....then the engine set on fire.....:D

Tell her they are absolutely rubbish for electrical faults. I bought my clio and then my uncle (who works for Renault) basically gave me a dressing down and told me I shouldn't have bought it because all the electrics fail. Then the driver electric window stopped working, then the speedo, then the headgasket....then the engine set on fire.....:D

Oh goody. I wasn't aware there were commonly electrical problems with Clios. The driver's elec window motor has failed on our daughter's Clio already, I hope the other problems you listed aren't about to follow,