The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heartburn/acid stomach?

JamieP

At your age Gaz?

Scary!

Very scary at 42

Just over 12 months now :)

Smoked, binge drank a lot, terrible diet, stress of running my business and family history.

Pins and needles in both hands, heart burn regularly, sweat heavily even when cold.

Still managed to cut 20ft of top of conifers by myself the weekend before my attacks :)

Pins and needles! Just thought I’d over done it a bit :)

Who know why i had an attack!

I do know that 1 of my arteries had narrowed.

Stent fitted after 2 heart attacks over bank holiday weekend at end of May 07.

All right since :)

Take my tablets daily to keep blood pressure and cholesterol down along with other tablets to do things that doc knows :)

GTN spray in pockets always.

Now I test my heart every time i line up for a 1/4 mile run :)

Sounds like gastric reflux, like previously mentioned zantac should do the trick for you, it neutralises the acid in your stomach. If it does persist though, go see a doc:doctor:. Acid from the stomach is no good for your oesphagus:)

You may have a hyatus hernia (valve at the top of your stomach getting stuck open a bit). Its quite prevalent in men from as early as your 20's but mostly in 30's onwards. It can be a temporary condition that comes and goes. First time I noticed it was after a heavy session. You know you've got bad indigestion when you eat a whole pack of rennie and it does squat. Short term Zantac is the only product on the shelf that will sort it (side effects of prolonged zantac use is impotence btw). When I get it proper bad it feels like I am having a heart attack. Stress, booze, and bad diet all bring it on as does burping the alphabet :D

Best advice go see a quack and see what they say.

Guest sunnyG83

Jamie mate you should really lay off the Vodka/RedBull's, my mate Paul had a minor heart problem or abnormality and when he was rushed to hospital the doctor asked what he drank and i told them about the V/RB and the doc said that it was very very harmful when mixed.

Paul has stopped drinking these and he has not had any more problems with his heart and he also use to get very bad acid build ups after drinking.

Just a heads up for you mate. :)

Do you get it while you sleep at all?

Axle.

If u get it in your sleep is that a sign for something bad?

Not particularly no.

I was just going to suggest some methods to help prevent night time heatburn if people suffer with it.

Chewing gum is somthing which will help, as it produces saliva which helps neutralise the acids.

Also, as silly as it may sound, but elevating the head of your bed with a couple of books can also help. This is due to the fact that the acids cannot flow upstream- so to speak.

Eating fatty foods shortly before bed also causes this. As does wearing clothes too tight for you around the waist.

Theres so many causes but the main ones are fatty foods, smoking, and excessive drinking and consumption of food.

Lack of sex is also another.. Well atleast thats what i shall be telling her..

Axle.

• 1 month later...

I get this a lot too - I can feel it right now, all I've had today so far was one cup of tea a few hours ago. Was working last night, so not drinking then either.

I don't tend to drink a lot at all any more, and have given mostly up fast food and microwave meals.

Gaviscon provides very temporary relief thankfully.

Had the same problem. Only difference is I used Nexium instead of Zantac. They're prescription only but more effective I found. That was the short term cure. Long term, took more exercise and improved my diet (slightly!) Still go out and paint the town green at least once a week.

I find when I let things slip, ie too much couch time or too many take aways the problem comes back.

Every time i drink the next day i get this bad, every time i burp i feel like my throat is on fire, tried some rennie but they do nothing, any suggestions except give up drinking?:)

My dad has got that really bad, the doctor issued him ranitidine tablets which kills of acid stomach very quickly...

I get it bad sometimes too, i think it must run in the family or something...lol... :-D

I think the cause of it (by what my dad told me) was that there is some sort of butterfly system in our bodies which stops acid coming up

and my dad's doesnt work properly...

Whether that's true or not i don't know but what my dad was saying...

Get checked out - letting it go on long term may lead to more serious things like Barretts esophagus. (Wiki Link)

You really don't want that - it is generally seen as being a precursor to Esophageal cancer. (Probably slim chance and a long way off, but get it checked out now mate)

I've been suffering with this for as long as I can remember... :taped:

I've been suffering with this for as long as I can remember... :taped:

My mum has it and now suffers from Laryngeal spasms. Basically when her larynx goes into a spasm, it closes off her windpipe and doesn't relax until she starts to pass out. It's terrifying for her as she simply can't breathe for about a minute at a time. It's like drowning and all she can do is try to stop going into a blind panic. (Which is ok for 20 secs or so, but after that it's not so easy without air!)

I reckon it'll give her a heart attack sooner or later. (She's 70)

:(