The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto/manual trans tunnel mod pt2

Homer

Following the guide on mkiv.com I've cut out the centre section of the auto panel and removed the handbrake mount part. However it's not clear if the rest of the auto trans tunnel plate should be removed too.

The guide seems to suggest that it can be left in place, but the new panel doesn't fit in well, even with all the anti-rust and sealant chisseled away

The pic below shows where the auto plate is still in place

So, any advice on which route to take? TIA :thumbs:

8Image095 (2).jpg

yer that has to go mate if you follow that around should be about 2" all around, I just drilled the spot welds out then used mole grips peeled it off bit by bit.

use the spot welds on the inside as a guide on how big the plate is

Thanks mate, thats all the confirmation I needed :)

The guide on mkiv.com didn't seem correct from the outset TBH, it didn't seem right to fit the new plate over the existing one.

do you have the new plate to hand? I had to fit my tunnel mount then fit the handbrake bracket by bolting the handbrake in place, when I tightened it all up the gaps closed I then drilled though the origional spot welds on the inside to bolt the whole lot together unless you want to plug weld it all back together

Yep, I have the new plate. I'm planning on drilling out the alignment hole at the back of the existing plate to get the rear section lined up then using the handbrake holes to get that fitted up correctly.

How did you manage to get the front of the plate in the correct position? There doesn't appear to be any single point that can aligned to the trans tunnel. Granted, there's not a great deal of give, but it'd be best to know the plate is positioned perfectly.

And no welding here, bolts and sealant is the way to go. It'll probably have to be removed again for the next engine and trans change

Yep, I have the new plate. I'm planning on drilling out the alignment hole at the back of the existing plate to get the rear section lined up then using the handbrake holes to get that fitted up correctly.

How did you manage to get the front of the plate in the correct position? There doesn't appear to be any single point that can aligned to the trans tunnel. Granted, there's not a great deal of give, but it'd be best to know the plate is positioned perfectly.

And no welding here, bolts and sealant is the way to go. It'll probably have to be removed again for the next engine and trans change

the plate I used was cut from a supra so fitted perfect to the point even the underseal joint lines even matched in perfect.

I chipped off some of the underseal from underneith and had to drill out some of the spot welds from there as the dash was in the way, when putting the new pannel in just mark through the predrilled hole onto the new plate then take it off and do it on the bench, there is some seat belt nuts on the new pannel if I can remember rightly this will line up with the hole on the body and the second hole will be for the handbrake. I think I had a G clamp with a block of wood going through the gear stick hole to close the gap up bit by bit drilled the hole then bolted it together. Once all the old pannel is removed im sure the pannel will only go where it has to due to the raised hump going through the hole in the body there will be a couple of mm to play with but once you have all the seat belt bolts and hand brake bolts done up tight thats where it needs to be ;)

hope that made sence lol

That makes perfect sense John (except the seatbelt holes part as they are not near the trans plate), thanks very much for replying in detail, I'll attack it with a bit more confidence tomorrow :D

:D im sure theres a couple of bolt holes there that the seat belt bolts will fit cant remember to be honest but im sure thats how I managed to get it to sit right ;)