The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chevy Engine Help?

scooby_doo_do

Here's a good one for people that know...

I have a small block 5.7v8 Chevy engine - that i'm trying to work out if the dipstick is too short or if i'm using too much oil etc..And trying to find out a little bit about it..

So far i've found the following numbers on the block:

F 20 0

I think this means between 1969-80 - however how do i know what's actually been done to the engine without completly stripping it? I'd like to know if it has uprated cam's etc, as it's only supposed to of done 3800 miles.

But the main thing is the dipstick - as it's not the original one, i don't know if the reading is correct.

I suppose another way to tell would be to drain all the oil, and re-fill with the correct amount, and then check the fluids once again?

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig.

But the main thing is the dipstick - as it's not the original one, i don't know if the reading is correct.

I suppose another way to tell would be to drain all the oil, and re-fill with the correct amount, and then check the fluids once again?

Hi,

Not sure about the rest, but sounds like the above is the onlu way to do it.

Can you not get an original dip stick?

Paul

Seems that the casting number (3970010) won't help much as this block was used for 3 engine sizes using different cranks or bore size.

I'd have thought you'd be best to register on a forum related to the Chevy Smallblock engine to get one of the smallblock gurus to give you a definitive answer. Perhaps try http://www.hotrodders.com there's been similar questions asked there in the past.

If the engine was out you could pull the oil pan and see if it's a 4-bolt or 2-bolt main bearing or measure the bore by pulling one of the heads, but other than that I'm not sure. You might find there's more numbers stamped around the block too - I think there's one near the transmission bell housing and one on a flat panel on the right side of the engine (when viewed from the drivers seat) that might give more information.

However, I have my doubts on the mileage of the engine if it's using that much oil. (And obviously it seems stupidly low for it's age too!)

No idea on how you'll check the cam (it only has one cam as the smallblock is a pushrod V8) to see if it's been uprated other than removing it to check any numbers on it. Maybe you could measure the valve lift if you have the right tools?

As there are a number of different dipstick lengths used for different oil pans, you'll have to accurately identify the engine before you'll know for sure.

I thought about suggesting ls1tech.com as I'm a member on there myself, but from what I've seen there, it's generally more focussed on the LS generation of engines which weren't introduced until 1997. (Although people do discuss projects on older stuff from time to time)

It's still worth asking on there though.