The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stupid I know, but...

jaymdee

I find it difficult to write on paper now, obviously I still can and it's still readable and correct but the use of computers has meant I don't get the practice I used to. So I can't imagine what it's like for kids who are able to use computers for everything at school as well as at home, wonder what they'll be like in the future - will they even need to write on paper!!

I've only ever mistakenly used TBH in a work email once by mistake, and I don't think it was noticed, I hope I don't start doing it more often though.

I'm with Jake on this though, common internet abbrs have been around for ever and are fine on forums and stuff, I only abbreviate certain words on txt messages, and usually only if I'm running out of letters (although I've been known to take the piss a bit with some of my mates and simply write 'k' in response to something!). The MSN world is just crazy though IMO, with the keyboard right in front of you why do they feel the need to use l33t/txt all the time!! I'm proud of my typing ability, I'm sure most of todays kids would be excellent at typing if they bothered to do it properly.

Why do so many people write ect when they abbreviate Et Cetera. Clearly it's etc :search:

rant over...

E and C are typed by the left hand on adjacent fingers in Qwerty, while the T is typed by the right, and in rapid typing, the E and C are often typed by the left hand in a drumming motion before the right can get the T in between the two.

(paraphrased from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teh ), and it's true for my qwerty typing but then I wasn't taught how to type properly. Perhaps etc is meant to be typed all with the left hand?

That's the one that really grinds my gears. u. It is, appropriately, the noise of someone grunting. You write "u" instead of the marathon like typing fest that is "you" and I'll write you off as a grunting neanderthal who types with their fists so there :p

Shops are using it now for names :cry: but then I note it's generally mobile phone shops, so considering the target audience I'm unsurprised. Here, you need this shiny thing, it'll make you happy and people will like you, no really.

-Ian