The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVti detonation - PLEASE HELP

Guest [S]oLiD

For what it's worth, my VVTi is more or less stock - just cat-back exhaust - and I don't get this problem and I'm currently using RON 97 (Total Excellium - it's my cheapest local source for Super Unleaded according to www.petrolprices.com).

I do have a Greddy Informeter hooked up through the car's OBD-II port and, amongst other things, this will show real-time ignition advance. If you could observe that when you experience the det. would it help?

Edited by spartan
Updated petrol details (see edit history)

In that case, it might be even more useful to get hold of a Blitz R-Vit - it does the same kind of job as the Informeter but also reports OBD error codes (the Informeter can only display a count of how many error codes are stored). I think it can be hooked up to a DVD-style screen as well to make things a bit more readable (see this old thread New Blitz R-VIT DS).

When I had a decat and exhaust fitted to mine by Paul at Whifbitz, we had a similar sounding problem that took a while to track down.

It turned out to be a faulty FCD, so it may be worth (assuming you have one fitted) checking your FCD. Mine was actually faulty, but bad fitting / soldering could also be a cause.

Guest [S]oLiD

thanks for the help guys

i dont have a FCD atm, the car is on stock boost levels...

im hoping its not detonation but something else which sounds like it...

how does the ecu react to detonation, does it cut the power or anything???

If it is knocking at 3000rpm, the ecu would pick it up and cut power or something wouldnt it???

Edited by [S]oLiD (see edit history)

Guest [S]oLiD

hmmmm when it makes the sound the throttle keeps goin, it doesnt back down, mayb it isnt detonation...

Is it possible for it to be detonationg and the ecu isnt picking it up???

Il have to get it on the dyno, check things out properly and find out for sure...

The only problem is thats its random, some days it will do it, other days it wont..

however, it will only make it within the 2800-3000 rev range..

Mark's moving over to OZ ha, sounds good, welcome !!

We got our fair share of supra Guru's over here, its just the VVti factor which complicates things, not much experience with them...

Edited by [S]oLiD (see edit history)

This could be something to look into.

I believe Jake had an fpr problem that led to severe det, think that was a bad vacuum hose to the fpr.

Jake??

If I remember right, Jake lost his engine through this after the vac Ref hose split or fell off.

Poor B'astard.:(

Guest [S]oLiD
Is there a possibilty of a faulty FPR causing this? Its ok once it gets the full boost pressure but is sticking slightly at lower pressures.

Just the first thing that come into my head reading this.

i thought about the fuel system but wouldnt it show up with the a/f ratios??

my cars runnin rich, starts off around 12 and drops to 10's at max boost, vvti's seem to run more rich than the others.......