The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What do you think of the mitsubishi 3000gt?

Mariusz

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get lot of car for the money, best bet is to try and find one from a club member - I forget which one I joined when I was looking, sorry. Really not good if they go wrong though, you need deep pockets to maintain them.

I had a GTO for two years, they are hugely unreliable.

Mine munched through two gearboxes, numerous tyres, one triple plate clutch, a suspension mount, and a complete re-weld of a perfectly good HKS Super Drager exhaust. I bought the thing in Feb 2006 for five grand, and precisely two years and 15000 quid later (that's servicing, repairs and running costs), I gave up on it.

I've heard that the Mk3 GTO (97 onwards) are more reliable, but they're a pain to find in England, and not many are available from auction in Japan.

It did give me the taste for three litre, twin turbo Japanese cars though, so I do owe it something :p

My mum had the 3000gt (95 one) for about three years as her main car and the only thing that ever needed replacing in the three years while having it was the battery, good cars but the problem is that most of them are dogs and you have to really take your time finding a decent one, I almost got one instead of the supra.

Guest Angry Koala

the old man had a 4wd 4ws na version and while not particularly fast it went well enough.

the tt's have a huge ecu which controls the toe-in of the front wheels under heavy braking and acceleration as well as having active front and rear spoilers. I think he was put off the tt by a quote of over £2k for an new ecu if it went wrong.

the gearbox is a 5 speed getrag box which is renowned for breaking but there is a guy up in Manchester who knows the box and can upgrade the bearings. if you find one that's had that done then snap it up as the uprated box is supposed to be pretty bulletproof.

the 4ws is pretty basic and can catch you out coming out of slow corners (such as hairpins) as one you get to a certain level of lock the rear wheels steer in the opposite direction to the fronts (in order to decrease the turning circle - on the moroway for example where you are only putting small forces on the steering wheel they steer the same way as the fronts so in effect you go diagonally) and this has the effect that if you gun it coming out of a slow corner the ar*e comes round like a b*tch on you cos it's oversteering on power AND on steering if you get what I mean.....

I could not agree more @ Dnk (sorry, I would use his post as a quote, but I'm still waiting for my full-blown membership to go through on here)... :p

Mitsubishi dealerships know very little about GTOs/3000GTs too; one particular dealer in Tunbridge Wells took 3 months to replace my first gearbox...

And didn't know that the matching propshaft would have to come from the donor car too...

And tried telling me that a new GTO gearbox would cost me six and a half grand (the car itself cost me five)...

Should've known really, when the GTO was recovered to the dealership, the guys on the service desk were all pressed up against the window, cooing and nudging each other as if to say "ooh, what's that? it's got a Mitsi star on it, but I've never seen one of those before"... one of them actually did say "ooh, what's that?" as I was stood at the service desk waiting for them to sit back down and find out that it was actually the motor I'd booked in with them the very day before :D

Apart from that, I guess they're all right (GTOs, not Mitusbishi Tunbridge Wells) :p

I like the look of them. When I bought my first (TT) Supra about 10 years ago, I drove a couple of different cars including a GTO TT. It was completely uninspiring - perhaps there was something wrong with it, but performance didn't do much for me at all. When I test drove the Supra, I thought the performance was amazing - and then the second turbo cut in......

Before I bought the Supra it was a tossup between it, an RX7 or a GTO.

When I looked into each on the relevant forums I found that the GTO was declaimed as very unreliable by the owners.

Nuff said - out of the race.

Before I bought the Supra it was a tossup between it, an RX7 or a GTO.

When I looked into each on the relevant forums I found that the GTO was declaimed as very unreliable by the owners.

Nuff said - out of the race.

They were the 3 on my list as well. I did actually agree to buy an RX7 - but then spoke to a Mazda dealer who told me the engines self destruct every 45k miles (but good fun in between). I pulled out - and the dealer offered me the TT Supra instead at (what was then) a bargain price.