The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I won a Drift Trophy........

Suprash

Ok, its really not a great as it sounds, but it has meant a huge amount to me........especially in the time I have been drifting and the progress I have made in that month or two.

Well Wednesday I had another drift event at Lydd, and I cant tell you guys how much of a great day this was for me.

Things started with a very long 12 hour night shift the night before, then home to load the car up and leave around 08:30, I was stocked up with Redbull and Pro-plus for the long day ahead, then drove onto Lydd which took about 2 hours, but by the time I got there I was hoping the car was going to last, this was her 4th outing now with no issues, breakdowns or hiccups, I also now had a welded diff in her, which was pretty noisey on the way down.

So I arrived at Lydd and everyone had already started for the day, so I rushed into the office and signed on, rushed to pit the area promptly stealing someones jack, changed my rear wheels and I was ready. They started the morning off by two cars out and only one lap of the circuit then back in, so I done this a few times but started to get frustrated, it just wasnt long enough to get into it properly, so while driving downt the straight before the exit I was trying to force something to happen by manji'ing it, and consequently got a wake up call, the car bit while on opposite lock and fooked off in the direction the front wheels were facing, I couldnt catch her and she mounted a tyre wall, people said the front of my car bounced a good 4ft off the tyre wall, all I remember is seeing tyre wall and then lots of sky before she finally came down what felt hard and heavy. I got out and a crowd of people had soon surrounded me, all now helping to remove tyres etc, to get the car off, then someone said that I was leaking fluid from the front end, Im thinking sump, rad, what is it, had a quick look underneath and was so happy to see the only damage I had done was a broke pipe to the washer bottle :D

So I gets towed off and 10mins later Im back on track, determined to crack that manji down the straight. Lunch time came and went and I had been out continuously, learning, trying things slightly differently to feel what happens with the car, even found myself dabbing the brakes to cause better weight shift on the car while coming onto the handbrake in a corner, I hadnt even been taught that yet but just found myself doing stuff, but I was happy as it was working, and finally in the afternoon it felt like the last month to two of lots of listening and practicing was finally coming together, I actually felt in full control of the car, I was telling her where I wanted her to go and what direction to be facing. Thats the thing about drifitng, anyone can drift around a corner using weight transfer, but to force the car round a corner on the drift using pure breaking techniques, ie handbrake and foot brake, and then holding it with the power is an art you need to get used to, but by the afternoon I was linking the whole circuit on the complete drift, I cant explain what a high that was, no drug could ever get me to that place. Sure my drifting is a long way off, Im no drift king yet by any means, but by the afternoon I could link the whole circuit without once facing forwards or with traction on the rear wheels, it was such a thrill.

Anyway the day started to come to a close, I was begging for more track time to stay out, think I could have stayed there until I ran out of tyres, or fuel, or if it got dark, actually scrub that last one, I would have still been out there come night fall......

So the marshalls flags the end and we all head off to the pits, where Sam the organiser does a little presention, and to my total shocked surprise he awarded me with "the most improved driver" since the last Lydd event. He said he has been watching me from when I first turned up, and what I have learnt in a month has been amazing, it really did make me almost well up, cause I have been trying really hard for him, he has been the only one who has taken me through stuff and talked to me about what Im doing so it has all been down to him. This is only a two bit, cheap, 2nd place carting trophy (as Lydd is a carting track) but his words meant so much more, and my trophy, I think the first trophy I have ever won is now on my tv at home lol.....:D

There was one time in the afternoon when everything felt like it was coming together, I looked in my rear view mirror at the start and saw Sam behind me, so I thought to myself I want to put a good drift session in for him behind so he can see how well Im now doing, but the pressure made my heart rate rise, I was sat there at the start line with my heart now pounding out of my chest, was so gutted when I pulled off and he stayed behind lol......

Anyway I have videos on my face book, I will eventually try and get some video across onto here for you guys, but if anyone wants to see it now, add me on Facebook (Ashley Willis), just look out for either the Supra or my red S14 as a profile pic, it'll have one of the two......

But for now here are a couple of pics for you guys to laugh over....

And the crashuuuuu from the beggining.....

Ok, its really not a great as it sounds, but it has meant a huge amount to me........especially in the time I have been drifting and the progress I have made in that month or two.

Well Wednesday I had another drift event at Lydd, and I cant tell you guys how much of a great day this was for me.

Things started with a very long 12 hour night shift the night before, then home to load the car up and leave around 08:30, I was stocked up with Redbull and Pro-plus for the long day ahead, then drove onto Lydd which took about 2 hours, but by the time I got there I was hoping the car was going to last, this was her 4th outing now with no issues, breakdowns or hiccups, I also now had a welded diff in her, which was pretty noisey on the way down.

So I arrived at Lydd and everyone had already started for the day, so I rushed into the office and signed on, rushed to pit the area promptly stealing someones jack, changed my rear wheels and I was ready. They started the morning off by two cars out and only one lap of the circuit then back in, so I done this a few times but started to get frustrated, it just wasnt long enough to get into it properly, so while driving downt the straight before the exit I was trying to force something to happen by manji'ing it, and consequently got a wake up call, the car bit while on opposite lock and fooked off in the direction the front wheels were facing, I couldnt catch her and she mounted a tyre wall, people said the front of my car bounced a good 4ft off the tyre wall, all I remember is seeing tyre wall and then lots of sky before she finally came down what felt hard and heavy. I got out and a crowd of people had soon surrounded me, all now helping to remove tyres etc, to get the car off, then someone said that I was leaking fluid from the front end, Im thinking sump, rad, what is it, had a quick look underneath and was so happy to see the only damage I had done was a broke pipe to the washer bottle :D

So I gets towed off and 10mins later Im back on track, determined to crack that manji down the straight. Lunch time came and went and I had been out continuously, learning, trying things slightly differently to feel what happens with the car, even found myself dabbing the brakes to cause better weight shift on the car while coming onto the handbrake in a corner, I had even been taught that yet but just found myself doing stuff, but I was happy as it was working, and finally in the afternoon in felt like the last month to two of lots of listening and practicing was finally coming together, I actually felt in full control of the car, I was telling her where I wanted her to go and what direction to be facing. Thats the thing about drifitng, anyone can drift around a corner using weight transfer, but to force the car round a corner on the drift using pure breaking techniques, ie handbrake and foot brake, and then holding it with power is an art you need to get used to, but by the afternoon I was linking the whole circuit on the complete drift, I cant explain what a high that was, no drug could ever get me to that place. Sure my drifting is a long way off, Im no drift king yet by any means, but by the afternoon I could link the whole circuit without once facing forwards or with traction on the rear wheels, it was such a thrill.

Anyway the day started to come to a close, I was begging for more track time to stay out, think I could have stayed there until I ran out of tyres, or fuel, or if it got dark, actually scrub that last one, I would have still been out there come night fall......

So the marshalls flags the end and we all head off to the pits, where Sam the organiser does a little presention, and to my total shocked surprise he awarded me with "the most improved driver" since the lsat Lydd event. He said he has been watching me from when I first turned up, and what I have learnt in a month has been amazing, it really need make me almost well up, cause I have been trying really hard for him, he has been the only one who has taken me through stuff and talked to me about what Im doing so it has all been down to him. This is only a two bit, cheap, 2nd place carting trophy (as Lydd is a carting track) but his words meant so much more.

There was one time in the afternoon when everything felt like it was coming together, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw Sam behind me, so I thought to myself I want to get a good drift session in for him behind me so he can see how well Im now doing, but the pressure made my heart rate rise, I was sat there at the start line with my heart pounding out of my chest, was so gutted when I pulled off and he stayed behind lol......

Anyway I have video on my face book profile, I will eventually try and get some video across onto here for you guys, but if anyone wants to see it now, add me on Facebook (Ashley Willis), just look out for either the Supra or my red S14 as a profile pic, it'll have one of the two......

But for now here are a couple of pics for you guys to laugh over....

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l131/fletch_14a/022.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l131/fletch_14a/024.jpg

And the crashuuuuu from the beggining.....

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/ceffy_drifter/DSC00550.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/ceffy_drifter/DSC00549.jpg

That happened because you didnt keep the shoe in, but i guess u already know that..Sounds like you had a great day towards the end though, fair play! :D

That happened because you didnt keep the shoe in, but i guess u already know that..Sounds like you had a great day towards the end though, fair play! :D

You mean I didnt keep the man foot down ? Now mate I really dont know, still on a huge learning curve and am constantly trying to replay the accident over in my head to figure out where exactly I did go wrong, on thinking back on it, I did think of one possibly way I could have got out of that and that was as soon as I see the tyres wall coming, I think handbrake followed by lots of left hand down to point the car away from the tyre wall as the back slides around on the handbrake and then pwoer to drive away from it, but its all in the reaction and training your reactions to work better. But what ever I did do wrong I obviously got the knack later as I was deffo manji'ing the straight, it might have only been little manji's but it beats driving off in a straight line with traction ;)

:D:woot::notworthy Fantastic! Delighted for you fellah ;) Its amazing watching the pros as they make it look so effortless but they started off the same as you, huge achievement, must take guts and determination (hence why I'd love to give it a go but would be rubbish :innocent:) but looks great fun - keep it up!! Look forward to seeing you doing a demo at one of the shows soon!

Linda

x

Guest bleasem

Well done ASH. Have spectated at a few Lydd practice days may have some footage of you skidding on my camcorder:

I was at the competition in November, the January practice day, and the March practice day. I will check and see if I can spot you.

Anyway good effort and hope you do as good and continue to improve further in the future.

Thanks guys for all your kind words......another pic someone got of me.....:D

EDIT: Actually at that closely, this is Sam, I wasnt wearing a white top, so this must have been when he took my car out, thought too I wasnt that rubbish that I would be over the kerbs lol......:p :D

Good going - it is addictive isn't it.

I used to be able to get right round the sprint track at Crail sideways in my mk3 JZA70 :D

It's transitioning from one direction to the other that's hard because of the massive sudden weight transfer that tries hard to make you spin out... especially if you've carried a drift up a straight and have to quickly change direction for the next corner.

Cheers,

Brian.

Good going - it is addictive isn't it.

I used to be able to get right round the sprint track at Crail sideways in my mk3 JZA70 :D

It's transitioning from one direction to the other that's hard because of the massive sudden weight transfer that tries hard to make you spin out... especially if you've carried a drift up a straight and have to quickly change direction for the next corner.

Cheers,

Brian.

Brian thats exactly what Im finding hard, changing direction on the drift, it doesnt help me you have quite a bit of travel in your shocks and all that weight is being thrown from one side to the other, boy does the car shift, lowered and solid would be so much better....;)

Get some of those cheap Megan Racing coilovers on it m8, will make a world of difference. Apex over on sxoc.com do them I'm sure. The S14 is a natural car for drifting though, so much better for it than an S13 is for example.

Have you got a bucket seat and harness in it? If not, get one - it makes the single biggest difference in drifting. You suddenly stop trying to wedge yourself into the seat with your legs and bracing yourself against the wheel whilst sideways - when you're firmly strapped into a bucket it holds you in place properly and you're free to concentrate on the controls to drift properly.

Get some of those cheap Megan Racing coilovers on it m8, will make a world of difference. Apex over on sxoc.com do them I'm sure. The S14 is a natural car for drifting though, so much better for it than an S13 is for example.

Have you got a bucket seat and harness in it? If not, get one - it makes the single biggest difference in drifting. You suddenly stop trying to wedge yourself into the seat with your legs and bracing yourself against the wheel whilst sideways - when you're firmly strapped into a bucket it holds you in place properly and you're free to concentrate on the controls to drift properly.

Yeah I need to invest in a few things now mate, firstly and mainly a jack, gotta stop stealing everyones elses lol, I have a spare set of wheels and another set on their way to that helps with changing rubber, then bucket seat and harness like you say, then coilovers or cheaper Apex shocks/springs, but what ever goes on the car will have to come back off within 12 months, cause the belly on her is quite rusted, and she has already ripped a big hole in the chassis where the rear sub frame mounts to the underside of the car, so Im a little bit reluctant to throw to much money at her, I will be keeping her pretty much as she is for my first year, and am undecided which route to take after that. Either it will be a better S14 base car, which I could then swap any parts over that I have on this, or a cheap N/A Supra, if it lacks in power then I will just gas it, but I think it will be ok. Even an NA Supra is far stronger then any S14 and my next car I want it to be able to take the abuse a bit more, my current S14 is bottom of the pile and guess it just reflects its price of £1,500. Personally I would love to see a Supra out there more.........