The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A bit of help regarding alloy wheels please.

kieren1234

Hi all, i am contemplating getting these alloy wheels from fleabay. I appreciate that they are not going to be the best looking/quality wheels of tyres available but really like the look of them and the price tag is inviting too.

Can someone tell me if the sizes, offset etc look ok??

and how 'bad' is the car going to handle with the budget tyres that they come with, bearining in mind I harldy ever drive my car to its limits, especially round the bendies.

Many thanks for any help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=350067093935&Category=28648&_trksid=p3907.m29

Stick with 18 as a max Kieren, but go for the best possible rubber you can.

Brakes and suspension mods are pointless if you cant stop, and since you will have more performance than a normal NA you need all the stopping power you can get.

Please dont skimp on tyres.

:taped::taped::taped::taped::taped::taped::taped:

Thanks for the comments guys. I dont think i really need really good tyres because i dont drive the car hard enough for this to have much effect. I have been running it for a while on budgets and has been fine. So the fit should be ok then. I only want 17 inch on the car.

They look really good, and it's a great price. Often cheap alloys don't come in the staggered sizes (wider rears) which these do. A set of tyres for my 18s cost the same as this whole set. They won't be top quality (i.e. forged) but for £600 all in I don't think you could really go too far wrong. I just noticed the £80 to upgrade to Falken tyres, that's what I use and what I pay ~£500 a set for (18")!

Does it rain where you live?

Are there any corners?

Roundabouts?

As sarcastic as usual Michael. I think you know the answers but i dont think these tyres are going to make me plunge into a wall everytime i go out in the rain, round corners or go round a roundabout.

Thanks for the comments guys. I dont think i really need really good tyres because i dont drive the car hard enough for this to have much effect. I have been running it for a while on budgets and has been fine. So the fit should be ok then. I only want 17 inch on the car.

As sarcastic as usual Michael. I think you know the answers but i dont think these tyres are going to make me plunge into a wall everytime i go out in the rain, round corners or go round a roundabout.

Quoted for future use.

I appreciate the advice, its just i dont feel as though i drive my car hard enough to justify getting really expensive tyres and have been driving the car a year on budget and not had any problems so far.

I may upgrade to the falcon's though for the extra £80 which seems a fair ammount. Are these any good??

I would assume they are in between budgets and really good tyres.

Many thanks for all of the comments :)

I bought three wheels from a guy up here who smashed his Supra (one was totalled as was the car). They had almost new tyres on it (wil get the exact make/model tonight) with loads of tread. Car was spinning up on straight in dry, even in 4th. No wonder he smashed it. I took them off within 20 miles and put on F1's. Anyone can have them for postage only if they are in to drifting or such like ........

Don't be a pratt!

How many threads have you read in the past regarding tyres and tyre compounds? If you put cheap rubber on your car you are only asking for trouble. Remember those four CHEAP tyres are ALL that holds you to the road, and the average contact patch is the size of your hand roughly... look closely at that and tell me you would trust a performance car on crap tyres... more importantly would you trust the car with other people in the car, think about it, think long and hard...

Nexon is the cheap BUDGET end of dunlop... I know what I'd do...

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)

Well you did say you would get flamed Kieren. :)

I had a conversation with Michael couple of weeks ago re tyres. Everytime I get a new car, I without fail change all four corners for new rubber, regardless if they have loads of tread on them. Nothing has happened for me to be this particular I just have the opinion that tyres are one of the most important things on the car (stating the obvious lol :D). As mentioned above the tyres are what essentially holding you to the road.

The way I was driving the SX on Sunday when we went to that meet, I would never drive like that or even faster if I did not have a decent tyre.

Increase your budget for tyres, you will be amazed how different it will feel even at low speeds on a car like the supra.

Well you did say you would get flamed Kieren. :)

I had a conversation with Michael couple of weeks ago re tyres. Everytime I get a new car, I without fail change all four corners for new rubber, regardless if they have loads of tread on them. Nothing has happened for me to be this particular I just have the opinion that tyres are one of the most important things on the car (stating the obvious lol :D). As mentioned above the tyres are what essentially holding you to the road.

The way I was driving the SX on Sunday when we went to that meet, I would never drive like that or even faster if I did not have a decent tyre.

Increase your budget for tyres, you will be amazed how different it will feel even at low speeds on a car like the supra.

Good advice mate :):)

After doing a bit of research it is now quite apparant how important it is to get good tyres so i will be increasing the budget to get a better, well known brand.

It took a bit of persuading from you guys but you have twisted my arm. Bring on the expensive tyres!! (will just have to keep it hush with the missus) :D

Good advice mate :):)

After doing a bit of research it is now quite apparant how important it is to get good tyres so i will be increasing the budget to get a better, well known brand.

It took a bit of persuading from you guys but you have twisted my arm. Bring on the expensive tyres!! (will just have to keep it hush with the missus) :D

www.camskill.co.uk is who I found to be the cheapest. I got 4 Toyo Proxes T1-R for £465 iirc.