The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Iphone 2 Confirmed

Ric

I never understand the people who want cameras on their phones. They are nearly all VGA cameras which (so I'm told) is nothing compared to a real digital camera. THe excuse that 'I have my camera everywhere my phone goes' is also slightly daft since there are so many 'real' cameras out now that are thinner and lighter than many mobile phones... why not just put a camera in your pocket?

I agree to a certain degree but not totally. For a start my Wife has a 10Mp camera and its not as small as my N95 which is regarded as one of the biggest phones so i would have to disagree on the size as there are not many brick phones left that would be bigger than a camera.

If i was going somewhere to take pics then yes i would definitely take a camera but i also use my phone to record video. The N95 is pretty good for video as are a lot of other phones nowadays, certainly good enough for Youtube.

Also, i don't know any phones nowadays that have a VGA camera. They are all more than 0.3mp as far as i know. My phone is 5mp and takes better pics than my old 2mp digital camera.

:yeahthat:

Nokia have definitely got their groove back. They disappeared from the top of the market for a while but their gimmicks are winning over everyone now.

Can't wait for the N96.. tv on the phone :D

TV on a phone is rediculous...esp when Nokia can't even sort out the interface to work at a decent speed. That's the beauty of the iPhone, it's responsive.

Personally I want the HTC Touch Diamond at the moment.

TV on a phone is rediculous...esp when Nokia can't even sort out the interface to work at a decent speed.

Works perfectly OK for me on T-Mobile 3 / 3.5G using their TV service, in fact I'm watching Wacky Races right now on my N95.

Yes the iPhone does seem to have a more dynamic menu system and the touchscreen is a big bonus but they aren't exactly setting the world on fire with new things, they are just good at making old ones look exciting.

thats the thing i like about the iphone, the interface

Its such a joy to use, so easy and quick all with nice looking graphics and slidey menus txt msgs are great with a 2 way conversion sort of look to it, so you can easily see what msgs were sent etc

yes you can moan about the lack of transferring files through bluetooth etc, there still email which is free for the iphone contract users, and with 3g coming out will be even better

you can still receive picture msgs etc and the camera even though its only 2mp is quite good quality considering.

Not I, but I do think they could do more to match their competitors. When you can't get less than 3.2meg a 2meg one just seems limp.

It's not the Megapixels I'm disappointed with on the iPhone camera, it's the actual quality of the image. I think the lens and CCD used is quite cheap.

Works perfectly OK for me on T-Mobile 3 / 3.5G using their TV service, in fact I'm watching Wacky Races right now on my N95.

Yes the iPhone does seem to have a more dynamic menu system and the touchscreen is a big bonus but they aren't exactly setting the world on fire with new things, they are just good at making old ones look exciting.

I get a similar service from Vodafone. Don't know if you have read about the N96 but its actually going to have a freeview tuner built into it.

It does seem a little OTT but i like gimmicks. I'm curious as to what the reception will be like along with the battery requirements.

It does seem a little OTT but i like gimmicks. I'm curious as to what the reception will be like along with the battery requirements.

Read reviews 'claiming' it is going to be much better than the N95. Can only wait and see, with everything that is going to be in it I am a little scepticle. iirc (although cant load the Nokia site for some reason) it does not have expandable memory.

Edit: - Just got into the Nokia site, it does have expandable memory. :)

http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4835651

Just compared the N96 vs N95 8gb, the N95 8gb actual seems to performs better (manufacturers figures.)

N96

Battery: Nokia Battery BL-5F, 950 mAh

Talk time: up to 150 / 220 minutes (WCDMA / GSM)

Stand-by time: up to 200 / 220 hours (WCDMA / GSM)

Video playback: up to 5 hours (offline mode)

Music playback: up to 14 hours (offline mode)

TV playback: up to 4 hours (DVB-H)

N95

Battery: Nokia Battery (BL-6F) 1200mAH

Talk time: up to 210 minutes (WCDMA), up to 300 min (GSM)*

Stand-by time: up to 280 hours (WCDMA and GSM)*

Just compared the N96 vs N95 8gb, the N95 8gb actual seems to performs better (manufacturers figures.)

N96

Battery: Nokia Battery BL-5F, 950 mAh

Talk time: up to 150 / 220 minutes (WCDMA / GSM)

Stand-by time: up to 200 / 220 hours (WCDMA / GSM)

Video playback: up to 5 hours (offline mode)

Music playback: up to 14 hours (offline mode)

TV playback: up to 4 hours (DVB-H)

N95

Battery: Nokia Battery (BL-6F) 1200mAH

Talk time: up to 210 minutes (WCDMA), up to 300 min (GSM)*

Stand-by time: up to 280 hours (WCDMA and GSM)*

I find it very strange that they don't use the same battery. Maybe a ploy for upgrades later on?

The new iPhone does seem so much better, but as with all camera phones its the speed of focus that I get annoyed with. They all need a much faster auto focus to compete with proper digital cameras IMO.

They could have 5mp image quality, but with a focus that takes 2 seconds to activate. I only ever use the camera on my phone (Samsung D900) to take 'still-life' shots, as its too frustrating otherwise!

Just had a text from O2 to register my interest for the new iPhone. Seems you can get it free depending on your contract - mines the £35 contract so its £100 and a new 18 month contract. Seems I'll be getting a new toy in July :)

If you have the £45 contract its free, not sure if you can up your contract to that and then drop it back to £35 a couple of months later but might be worth looking at....

Just had a text from O2 to register my interest for the new iPhone. Seems you can get it free depending on your contract - mines the £35 contract so its £100 and a new 18 month contract. Seems I'll be getting a new toy in July :)

If you have the £45 contract its free, not sure if you can up your contract to that and then drop it back to £35 a couple of months later but might be worth looking at....

Usually 3 months with 12 month contracts and 5/6 months with 18 i think.

Hello Ric,

Thank you for emailing us about upgrading to new iPhone 3G.

The new iPhone 3G will be available from 11 July 2008. We're offering you an early upgrade to the brand new version when it launches on 11th July 2008. You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract. All you'll need to do is agree to a new 18 month minimum term contract.

The new 8GB iPhone 3G is available free of charge on our #45.00 including VAT (Value Added Tax) and #75.00 including VAT pay Monthly tariffs for iPhone and it's just #99.00 including VAT on our #35.00 including VAT tariff and new #30.00 including VAT tariff. The 16GB iPhone 3G is free on the #75.00 tariff, on the #45.00 tariff it cost #59.00 to buy and #159.00 to buy on the #30.00 and #35.00 tariffs.

You should have received a text message today offering you the opportunity of upgrading early by signing a new 18 month contract. The text will ask you to register your interest at o2.co.uk/iPhone.

When you've registered, we'll contact you in early July with details of what you need to do to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G. The upgrade offer is available from launch 11 July 2008 until 11 October 2008.

I hope you'll find this information useful. For further information on your account and our products please check our website on:

http://www.o2.co.uk/

Important - When you email us please provide: your date of birth, postcode and mobile number as it helps us answer your query faster.

Kind regards,

Sudeep Kumar

O2 Customer Service.

Getting your query right the first time you email us is very important to us. If your query has not been resolved this time, please reply to this email with the words 'Need More Help' in the subject field.

Telefsnica O2 UK Limited, Registered in England No 1743099. Registered Office: 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX.

Important - When you email us please provide: your date of birth, postcode and mobile number as it helps us answer your query faster.

I hope I'm not the only person worried by this statement. Next they'll be asking you to email your mothers maiden name, your bank account # and sort code...

I do like the sound of the new iphone though. A colleague showed me his v1 one and I like it...but it needed a few extra bits and bobs.