The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Computer/Internet Help Please

marbleapple

Hi Guys,

I moved house last week and I am beginning to think either my internet or my computer are playing up and I dont know how to fix it.

Whilst 90% of all websites seem to be working, a small number of websites have begun to simply 'freeze' when I try access them although the computer still works fine. Examples include:

• Paypal.... logs in but stops on the 'logging in' page and never proceeds to the account section (no error message etc appears).
  • Matchbox community website (don't ask why!) has now banned my IP and even their admin people have no idea why.

- many other websites now appear to be timing out quickly.

I have not changed any settings etc since I moved house and the internet is with the same provider (BT) and it is in the same area (my houe is only 200 yards from where we rented before).

Any one have any ideas what is going on?

p.s. - Love the new 'similar threads option'.

I would have a go at clearing out all your cookies and temporary internet files. That can sometimes help with issues.

I have tried that thanks and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Maybe something is wrong with the sites. Care to share so that we can see if they work? You can do it by PM if you visit some 'interesting' sites

I can certainly send you some links to interesting sites if you would like but they are not the problem. Sites include the following:

http://www.paypal.com

http://www.mboxcommunity.com/forums/ (my ip is banned?)

http://www.able-labels.co.uk/ProductList.asp?CatID=1 (starts to load but never gets there... like dial up)

All three sites are very big and I doubt all have problems (I have not been able to access Paypal for 2 weeks although I can log on via my phone and a friends computer)..

Are you using internet explorer?

if so try them with firefox

and reboot your router as well.

What PC OS are you running?

Windows Vista, with the newest Internet Explorer.

Rebooting my router is an idea I should try..Thanks

Have you got a decent anti-virus system installed?

No. But i'd be amazed that a virus is stopping me use Paypal.

You're running with no anti-virus? You're brave! :)

Did you try FireFox yet? Just as a test.

If PayPal works OK through FireFox I would then try resetting everything in IE back to the defaults by running HiJackThis.

Also, the problem could possibly be caused by your firewall (this is probably where you say you haven't got one :)). Try disabling your firewall and see if PayPal works then.

regardless of the sites you visit you MUST have an anti-virus installed really would recommend you get one. :D

I wouldn't really agree with that, i find a router/firewall is much more important than antivirus. The only reason i have antivirus is for my Wife. I've ran my own laptop and my main computer for years without any antivirus and not had any problems. Of course i have done online scans periodically just to be sure but i've never had an issue with viruses.

I'm careful where i go and i'm careful what i download. The Router just keeps me safe from outside sources trying to maliciously connect to my PC.

If you connect a computer to the internet with no firewall or AV then the average time before your computer will become infected (usually through port-sniffers) is 15 mins.

A few years ago when a virus was going around as soon as i connected my computer to the internet it was infected. All the TW exchange's were riddled lol. I had to reformat 3 times in the 1 day, it took me the first 2 to realise what was happening and then on the 3rd i left the modem disconnected and installed the patch.

I'm sure that was the blaster virus.

But yes, i wouldn't even think about not running with a firewall and a hardware one at that.

A few years ago when a virus was going around as soon as i connected my computer to the internet it was infected. All the TW exchange's were riddled lol. I had to reformat 3 times in the 1 day, it took me the first 2 to realise what was happening and then on the 3rd i left the modem disconnected and installed the patch.

I'm sure that was the blaster virus.

But yes, i wouldn't even think about not running with a firewall and a hardware one at that.

I just can't understand why anyone wouldn't use AV and all that jazz. It's just asking for trouble. The sorts of malware that can be invisibly downloaded onto peoples machines these days would amaze a lot people and once they see how much control you can get over a machine people are usually shocked.

Saying that, the issue this guy has sounds more like some sort of DNS issue to me.

regardless of the sites you visit you MUST have a virus installed really would recommend you get one. :D

Common sense is enough if you are going through good router. I also found, that recovery card is ultimate solution, especially in cyber cafe's (I did own cafe for 3 years) This card will not slow down your computer at all and recover all partition to start stage at every reset (if you do not set it up to act differently). I personally never did use antivirus, except situation, when I was checking someone elses buggered HDD. Just be careful where you go and don't press every link you are given by unknown source :p :D

If you do not like card solution, you can use deepfreeze - great software, but can be vunerable to some virus attacks as this is software protection, not hardware one. Believe or not, but I've see antivirus soft infected by viruses too (Norton, AV).

Hmm, strange that. Used to be halfway decent.

Ok first thing to check...

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

go to "proceed" then "All Service Ports"

That will check if anything obvious is open to the net that shouldn't be.

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests.

I'm really proud of that :D

Thats your router mate ;)

Its a good start but it doesn't check all ports. I used to know an online scanner that did but i can't remember what it was.

Most trojans use the 40k+ port no's

What were the 3 things it found wrong with the system?