The mkiv Supra Owners Club

pc won't boot, any advice?

chilli

Hi, my laptop has got messed up. was working fine, rebooted it and now won't boot at all. it fails right at the start (i.e. before any windows loading starts).

going in via the windows xp disk and recovery console I've run a chkdsk which completed ok but the machine still won't boot.

strange this is when i view the files and folders on the disk via the recovery console, some of the folders and files report as 0 bytes even though I know they were not empty. all the files and folders are listed though but somethings messed up for them to be reported as 0 bytes in size. The OS is XP pro and I think it's the normal NTFS5 file system IIRC.

Is there an easy / safe way to recover the drive. I suspect most of the data is on there but I need to restore the file system and I'm scared I'll make it worse or unrecoverable if I make the wrong move.

naturally reinstalling is a last resort - I'd really like to recover the disk :)

is fixmbr the way to go, is it actually the mbr that's wrong? I don't want to try that unless that's the right thing to do, I hear using fixmbr can result in data loss.

The best/safest thing to do would be to boot up a Live CD such as Slax. (It has a nice simple GUI and works really well.) Then (purchase if not own one already) plug in an external USB hard drive and copy the contents of your C:\ drive to the external USB drive, even if they report 0 bytes. Once you copy everything, reformat the drive. It's always good to make frequent backups of your stuff...theres tons of software out there to do so. And I always recommend an external USB drive :thumbs:

Hi, my laptop has got messed up. was working fine, rebooted it and now won't boot at all. it fails right at the start (i.e. before any windows loading starts).

going in via the windows xp disk and recovery console I've run a chkdsk which completed ok but the machine still won't boot.

strange this is when i view the files and folders on the disk via the recovery console, some of the folders and files report as 0 bytes even though I know they were not empty. all the files and folders are listed though but somethings messed up for them to be reported as 0 bytes in size. The OS is XP pro and I think it's the normal NTFS5 file system IIRC.

Is there an easy / safe way to recover the drive. I suspect most of the data is on there but I need to restore the file system and I'm scared I'll make it worse or unrecoverable if I make the wrong move.

naturally reinstalling is a last resort - I'd really like to recover the disk :)

is fixmbr the way to go, is it actually the mbr that's wrong? I don't want to try that unless that's the right thing to do, I hear using fixmbr can result in data loss.

when I have had severe boot up probs in the past I just installed a new OS onto the drive without wiping the data off it, so I could access it under the new OS.