The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Has anyone ever converted their TT to LPG ?

Suprasteve

i ran lpg 15 years ago for 50 thousand miles in my taxi. had a few problems but in general it does save you loads of cash.

you actually get less to the gallon on lpg , although the price is a lot cheaper so it does work out per mile a lot cheaper. the biggest problems they had in the uk was the mapping. lpg has an octane level of 102-104 and a higher calorific content where as unleaded is from 91-95 ron. this was the biggest problem when i had mine. at the time when the conversion where done in the usa they changed the ems as part of the conversion as here they didnt. timing was a problem and you would get blowbacks which used to blow your airflow meter to bits (ands sound like a bomb going off, also quite embarrasing cos everyone looks at you). they then fitted a rubber seal between the airbox that was designed to blow off and save the meter. i had a 100 litre tank which was huge, but got me about 500 miles. you can only fill them to 80 percent before the valve shuts off and prevents you from filling it any further. you also get a whiff of propane if you are sitting in traffic on a hot summers day. i would say that the tank is the biggest problem and it is heavy. i wouldnt want to run my supra on lpg. the torque was different aswell. in my car at about 4k revs on petrol you would get the power, when on lpg it was flat all the way through the rev range. power did feel down on lpg. again things could have changed since then. mapping is the key i think. i just dont fancy a pressured lpg tank sat behind me.

Taken from the website i posted in the opening thread ..

"The gas tank is obviously the largest component in an Autogas conversion and is therefore the most difficult to place. Most tanks simply fit in the spare wheel compartment, in place of the spare wheel. .

I am not trying to put anyone off, I just have experience of running a car on LPG for about four years. So I just want to put forward views of one user. I have read all the sales blurb there is on LPG conversions. My experience is different from what you might expect if you believe all the sales stuff.

The Supra wheel is a spacesaver, so by definition a lot smaller than standard spare wheels. The LPG installation company's will say a tank can be fitted there because it can. However in the supra the tank will be small, so range will be limited. The practicalities of running a small tank are a pain as you have to choose your route carefully to enable you to fill up with gas. The number of of LPG pumps is increasing but unless you have a big tank, cross country journeys can be difficult.

I have two 36 liter gas tanks in the V8 and they are very large the most they will hold is 57 liters. The is no way you could even fit one tank that size in the Supra unless you use petrol tank space. I may be wrong but I believe the working volume of a toroidal tank in the rear wheel space is 32 liters. My V8 does about the same MPG as my BPU Supra. On a long journey, driving sensibly, using light throttle and keeping to legal speeds, 19mpg is a fair average. That is roughly 4 miles/liter on petrol. MPG on gas is less, I think about 80%, so a 32 liter gas vessel would give at most 105 miles. However gas will cut out before the tank is empty, so in reality 28-30 litres is more likely. Put your foot down and the gas mpg will drop like a stone.

If anyone wants to sample a gas powered car my Disco is up for sale.