The mkiv Supra Owners Club

XS Power

Steve Paine

Just make sure they didn't use any other XS power compenents... such as oil feed and return, fuel lines, FPR, gaskets, pressure lines, etc. They are utter garbage and won't last longer than a few months (nearly lost my car and myself after a fuel line of theirs perished)

I am responding on Steve's ID as we have not joined yet. My name is Craig and I run Kent Performance.

I just wanted to clarify a couple of points regarding Steve's car in order to clear up any confusion.

We feel for Steve where the XS power kit is concerned as imo the rest of the kit does look good and reasonable well made for the price, but the Turbo has been a big problem. The Turbo that is going back on is a far from standard GT35. It's a GT35 compressor housing with roller bearings, running a .84 Exhaust housing with the correct manifold flange and V-band, so it will be direct fit. We are running water cooled for extra piece of mind. We decided on a GT35 on advice on what sort of power was required and what the car is used for, i.e a daily driver. So we don't want a huge laggy turbo this time around, and it will be good for 500 BHP.

It is a shame as the car made good power at low boost with the XS turbo, but the quality was no good at all.

We cannot recommended fitting the kits, as any comebacks like this are a nightmare, especially as XS power do not seem to give a s**t.

I am responding on Steve's ID as we have not joined yet. My name is Craig and I run Kent Performance.

I just wanted to clarify a couple of points regarding Steve's car in order to clear up any confusion.

We feel for Steve where the XS power kit is concerned as imo the rest of the kit does look good and reasonable well made for the price, but the Turbo has been a big problem. The Turbo that is going back on is a far from standard GT35. It's a GT35 compressor housing with roller bearings, running a .84 Exhaust housing with the correct manifold flange and V-band, so it will be direct fit. We are running water cooled for extra piece of mind. We decided on a GT35 on advice on what sort of power was required and what the car is used for, i.e a daily driver. So we don't want a huge laggy turbo this time around, and it will be good for 500 BHP.

It is a shame as the car made good power at low boost with the XS turbo, but the quality was no good at all.

We cannot recommended fitting the kits, as any comebacks like this are a nightmare, especially as XS power do not seem to give a s**t.

Sorry for the long winded post, but if we can help anyone else out please contact us, 01634 360693, and we are based in Gillingham, Kent.

If the turbo is a GT35 and it has roller bearings then it is a GT35R...not a GT 35 :innocent:

Guest KentPerformance
If the turbo is a GT35 and it has roller bearings then it is a GT35R...not a GT 35 :innocent:

My mistake, I forgot to add the 'R', although essentially they are the same!.

We are all to aware of the fitting issues, but the turbo is being built with a 4" V band. We spec our own turbo's all the time. When it's here and on the car i'll get some pics up.

Guest KentPerformance
Look forward to the pics, what .ar are you going with? divided or non divided?

It's a .84 exhaust housing, and the only housing that was avaliable was non divided. It's not a problem with the XS power manifold, as there is no division in that.

Guest KentPerformance

Yes, we are using the XS manifold. The wastegate, and all it's piping are all working fine at the moment, and I hope for Steve's sake that they continue to. I can't seem to find any fault with the manifold's construction - it seems to be the best part of the kit!

Yes, we are using the XS manifold. The wastegate, and all it's piping are all working fine at the moment, and I hope for Steve's sake that they continue to. I can't seem to find any fault with the manifold's construction - it seems to be the best part of the kit!

The general opinion on the xs manifold is they are badly designed and made, the internal welding where they come together is bad and parts of the weld have been known to come off and go though the turbo killing it (not what you would want with your new GT35r)

Also some people have had problems with the car over boosting because the wastegate port hole was not cleaned up and caused a restriction.

You may also find the turbo will need spacing up to clear the runners because the flange points in the wrong direction.

Guest KentPerformance
The general opinion on the xs manifold is they are badly designed and made, the internal welding where they come together is bad and parts of the weld have been known to come off and go though the turbo killing it (not what you would want with your new GT35r)

Also some people have had problems with the car over boosting because the wastegate port hole was not cleaned up and caused a restriction.

You may also find the turbo will need spacing up to clear the runners because the flange points in the wrong direction.

We had heard of the rep of XS power before the kit was fitted, but after looking at this kit,price etc and checking it all during fitting, we were happy to proceed.

After fitting the car went on the rollers, and after numerous runs there were no boost spikes or anything else, and it was set at 12 psi. (417bhp at the wheels).

As for turbo spacing, it is physically about the same size and orientation, so there is no reason why it will not bolt on with no reasonable problems.

I'm pretty sure you can specific the compressor and exhaust vband size (as well as A/R, etc) when ordering from garrett.

To be honest Steve, it's a good thing the XS GT45 went, they're a dinosaur of a turbo and not really suitable for a road car. The Garrett GT35r will be completely different animal, it's far more suited to road use.

And to Kent Perfomance - make sure the face of the T4 flange on the XS manifold is machined flat, there have been problems with them being warped in the past. Hopefully all that remains of the XS kit is the manfold and the wastegate, if not prepare to be replacing the rest very soon!

Guest KentPerformance
I'm pretty sure you can specific the compressor and exhaust vband size (as well as A/R, etc) when ordering from garrett.

And to Kent Perfomance - make sure the face of the T4 flange on the XS manifold is machined flat, there have been problems with them being warped in the past. Hopefully all that remains of the XS kit is the manfold and the wastegate, if not prepare to be replacing the rest very soon!

We are being quite specific with this turbo, so that we know it will be right for the job.

The car has been running, with no exhausts leaks or blows - so I guess Steve has a good manifold! LOL, as for the rest of the kit, I hope it remains ok too.

Good turbo choice, here are a few pics of my GT35R this has AR .82 and 3" V-band flange. Very fast spooling turbo, positive boost just over 2K rpm, peak boost around 3.5K rpm in higher gears, producing 542hp.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8893/cimg0004sj0.jpg http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3871/cimg0007uv1.jpg http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9102/cimg0011to0.jpg http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6208/cimg0013vv0.jpg

When I got the tubo I did seek some advise and was told by Paul WHIFFIN that the best thing to do would be to throw it in the bin, but hey another expensive lesson learnt.

Thanks for all your messages. I shall just assume the feotal position, suck my thumb, cry and work out how the hell I'm going to squeeze the money from my accounts without the wife finding out