The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Be careful where you put your keys

cheekymonkey

A colleague of mine woke up yesterday to the sound of footsteps / keys jangling around. He went downstairs and saw a thief hooking his car keys off the hook through the letter box with a stick.

He didn't get there in time and they got away with the keys. He opened the door to confront the guy,who was wearing a balaclava - he had a brick in his hand and said you can either let me leave or get this brick in your face, so he had to let him get away with his golf gti.

I know this has probably been said on here before, but be VERY careful about leaving car keys near your doors!

This is why I have no letterbox in our front door......;)

I can't believe your mate let someone go who was armed with a brick.......:blink: Gun (yes), knife (hmm, ok yes). Brick (No!!)......:rolleyes:

He's only going to get one shot at best. I don't think I could live with myself if I had let him go without a fight at least!!

H.

I would have took my chances with the brick, what would have been the chances of him swinging it and being accurate?

Yeah, he said that he wasn't thinking straight else he might have tried something different, but hindsight is always 20/20!

Although if I'd heard noise downstairs I'd have either taken down a baseball bat or a gun :)

You postman must hate you!

Why don't you just keep your keys away from the front door, say in the kitchen or sommat?

We have an open letterbox at the front of the house.....;) Maybe we should hide our keys in there??? We have never had a probelm with this sytem tbh.

We always take the keys to bed anyhow after we had our Celica nicked, they came into the kitchen and walked off with Vicki's car......:(

H.

Guest mattsupra

sorry but brick= not a lot when held by a total wanker

bloke in boxers= wtf are you going to do to me now ?

lmao ;)

i would of gone for the little barsteward any day and shoved the brick where no sun will ever shine

Blackjax, blackjax, blackjax..

Also, am i the only person who, if i heard something like that, would be taking something out with them?

No chance he would be walking away with my car. Even if for some strange reason he got away with my car, we have 3 cars, i would have followed him!

Tell your mate to fit an alarm with a blackjax type feature.

Yeah, he said that he wasn't thinking straight else he might have tried something different, but hindsight is always 20/20!

Although if I'd heard noise downstairs I'd have either taken down a baseball bat or a gun :)

bugger carrying round a bat or a gun,

imagine the burglers surprise if you turned up with a brick

how hard would that make you look :D

"cmon then mate ive got a brick im gunna kick ya a**e with it".

:p

Regardless of the brick, leaving keys anywhere near the letterbox is just stupid. It's surely common sense that keys of any kind should be left out of sight, and perhaps locked away themselves.

I wish any burglar luck with getting hold of my keys at night, s/he will never find them ;).

Regardless of the brick, leaving keys anywhere near the letterbox is just stupid. It's surely common sense that keys of any kind should be left out of sight, and perhaps locked away themselves.

I wish any burglar luck with getting hold of my keys at night, s/he will never find them ;).

well yeah its allways a good thing to hide them away, but cmon how many people have just put there keys on a table somewhere and forgot about them

its only gotta be that 1 time.

as for people saying about confronting the guy, fair enough its your car being taken but who knows what else he might have in his pockets, you could try to retaliate and in return he pulls out a huge knife. while out doing ambulancy thinsg before ive come across it, some inocent guy trying to protect his property gets stabbed and ends up in hospital and the guy still gets away with the stuff he nicked.

who wins that one?

i guess its down the the individual at the time.

Regards

nathan@Sumopower

I'm sure some one advsied me that best thing to do is leave keys in hall way, if a burgler breaks and its for the keys he will take them and leave instead of smashing the place in to bits and also possibly harming some one in the house. If left in hall way they likely come in take keys and leave .

I disagree with the fight back option Cars not worth getting your self injured for say he did wack thet brick and it connected would defo do some damage.

I'm sure some one advsied me that best thing to do is leave keys in hall way, if a burgler breaks and its for the keys he will take them and leave instead of smashing the place in to bits and also possibly harming some one in the house. If left in hall way they likely come in take keys and leave .

I disagree with the fight back option Cars not worth getting your self injured for say he did wack thet brick and it connected would defo do some damage.

Im with that you could try and retalliate but considering half of crims are usually smacked off there tits and wont feel pain anyway, is it worth it for a car?

Plus he will probably sue you for hurting him.

Chris

:iagree: I used to have a go at my housemate about this. He'd leave his keys AND wallet in the kitchen which is right next to the front door, clearly visible through the window. :rolleyes:

I also love how some people have a key rack, with clearly marked pegs for 'door' 'shed' 'expensive car' etc, burglars must be laughing.

Call me paranoid but I won't leave any keys, wallets, laptops etc visible through any window in the house, you're just asking for trouble.

On the other hand make sure you keep your keys close at night, being caught up in a house fire and no door keys can't be fun.

Our home security used to be pi$$ poor looking back. Since we got done about 7 years ago, we have been pretty good. We now have really high fences at the back, we always close the blinds etc. House is alarmed and the dog is in the only room without a sensor.......;)

I also make sure that cash, keys, wallet etc are taken upstairs. I am looking for a legal weapon that I can have at the top of the stairs but not come up with anything yet. Are tazers legal these days??

H.