The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R33 GTR - Non Runner

DannoSupra

Hi guys, my freinds got an R33 GTR. I'll start from the start..

He was driving along, all of a sudden, no boost, he didnt hear a pop or loud bang, so im guessing not a boost pipe off

It would run/drive just no boost, as soon as he stopped it, it cut out and it wont start ever since

Ive been to the car today and tried many things; Changed the plugs cos te old ones were goosed!! Still no go, Took the turbo pipe off the turbo side into IC and felt the Suckion, then took the inlet manifold IC pipe and did the same. The both sucked as hard, so i knew he didnt have a boost leak. Its getting spark, and its getting fuel. There's a strage hissing/pulse coming from the back/under the inlet manifold. I took the top Timing Belt cover off, and the belt seem's very slack, so i got the cams lined up, and they were spot on. Is it possible that its jumped a tooth on the crank? i didn't get as far as removing the bottom part of the Timing, its started to rain!!!

It just seems weird that there's fuel and spark, and even with a boost leak, it should run

I had a similar problem on a mates 300ZX, and we disconnected the Air Flow Meter's and it would start but not run over 3000rpm

Any help would be much gratefull!!!

Thanks Dudes

well if you have spark and fuel its got to be timing. check crank and cam sensors are sending the correct signal. then set up timimg from scratch. start from scratch with everything, then go for exspensive diagnostics. Has it got good compression? blah blah.. I think by your post I'm teaching you to suck eggs but good luck and let us know what happens, as in this game every day is a school day!!!!

Thanks

Dave

Yeah, i'll see if i can get some more time on it this week, got a few jobs to do at home to...

I asked the owner if it ran like it was missfiring, he said no.. just ran like a n/a

I could to with the car here, cos all my diagnostic equipments here!

Bloody Skyline's :thumbs:

One of the idle control valve pipes under the plenum may have come off or split. You need a good light source and a mirror. You may find it easier to pull the engine out than fiddle about under there in situ. It may be something totally different. Have you done a compression check? RB26 engines like eating their ceramic exhaust wheels....

• 2 weeks later...

Timing is spot on, just put a new belt on it at the same time

I wonder if there's a hole in piston(s) - i didn't bring my bloody compression gauge from work again

I'll have a look with a bore scope too

Ive ran diagnostic on it, all there was, was fault relating to ignition, mafs and angle sensor on the exhaust camgear. But these are only logged as an attempted start, down to me having things disconnected and having ign on and cranking etc etc

Had a similar fault on a 300zx, had me puzzled for a few hours, though 'if i disconnect mafs, will it default to Coolant Sensor' so did that and she started, obviously this isn't the case with the Skyline

The way he, the owner, described it all happening:

Pulled from the junction, not hard but not slow, same in 2nd gear, and as soon as he went into 3rd, lost power, boost gauge didn't go over Zero, and he said that the Turbo's sounded like they are trying to spool, drove like a bag of spanners until it Concked (spelling) out

^^ now that to me sounds a bit more mechanical than electrical, because some on the 'GTR Register' thinks its a faulty Cam Angle Sensor

Soon find out

• 2 weeks later...