The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RIP Robert Dunlop - Motorcycle Racer Extraordinaire.

Soop Dogg

Motorycle road-racer Robert Dunlop died last night after an accident during practice for the NW200 races in Portrush, N. Ireland. It seems his engine seized near Mathers Cross at about 160mph, sending him over the handlebars. Another rider hit him when he was on the road. Robert died of chest injuries.

These guys are heroes - forget the TT, this is mass start racing on closed public roads where over 20 riders leave the grid together just like circuit racing, but the roads are often narrow and surrounded by walls, lamposts, houses etc. Great to watch but incredibly dangerous. Unfortunately these things happen, I suppose.

Robert was well aware of the dangers - his brother Joey died in 2000 riding in a road race in Estonia. I don't think either of them expected to go any other way than this - doing what they loved.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7403931.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/nw200/watch/coverage.shtml

I've been up to the NW200 on the bike. The year the Honda cracked 200mph. It is indeed an intense race to watch with enormous commitment from all the riders considering the environment. Shame a mechanical failure let Robert down.

Guest Angry Koala

Was so sad to hear this news this morning. I've met Robert a few times at various race meetings and he's always taken the time to speak to me (even on the start line minutes before a race at the TT).

He certainly will be missed. RIP.

RIP. The Dunlop family have been road racers extrordinaire for many years, the loss of Joey was bad enough but to have bob too. Its a dangerous yet exciting game road racing, and the riders knew the risk. Doesnt make it any easier to accept. No doubt the "ban it" crowd will be out in force...