The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scrap engine

ADL Mark

So who had what in the end? And what are you guys planning on doing with them?

I just have your block and pistons, I stripped it down so i could give Mark your crank to go with the NA block and pistons i had lying about.

I have the internals from JohnK's old TT that had a hole in the block from the engine mount, so effectively now with your intact block :) i have the parts for whole TT short block.

Going to tinker around with some NA-t ideas, if anyhting ever becomes of it, then i have a strong replacement block for when i blow up the NA engine :)

BTW Mark, it was an effort but i got the better of the crank pulley nut in the end :D

I'm always a bit worried when "giving it the beans" on the crank nut, more so when the engines not in the car.

Difficulty was fixing the engine solid, your mate wasn't quite cutting it as balast :D

I had a little think and came up with an A-team'esq plan.

1) Rotate engine on stand so its upside down

2) remove sump

3) Place solid metal bar between block and crank

4) Use assorted bits of wood to wedge it tight between a brick wall and a truck pushed back into position!

5) to prevent engine stand lift off on application of torque, insert scissor jack to wedge against trucks tow bar (particularly proud of this idea!)

6) The 6ft Bar over the breaker bar, apply torque, watch 6ft bar bend, stop rotate bar 180 degrees, hang back on the bar, call the bolt a b*stard one more time job done

feeling invicible..........I then

7) rotated the engine so cylinder head was back on top

8) striped the cams off to exposed the head studs

9) but on the second head bolt I sheared the shaft of the socket, half of which luckily pinged (at a rate of knots) out of harms way, whilst i nearly faceplanted the driveway due to the sudden loss in equal and opposite force :D

I called it a day after that, ridden my luck enough :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.