The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One for DevilsAdvocate: 12 Monuments Dedicated to Wars and their aftermath.

RedM

Guest DevilsAdvocate
12 Monuments Dedicated to Death and Destruction: From War Memorials to Military Sculptures

http://weburbanist.com/2008/05/08/12-monuments-dedicated-to-wars-and-their-aftermath/

Excellent site and a current favourite of mine.

Thanks for the link Red M

I'll be checking out the newly opened tunnels at Arras soon (the name of which escapes me at the moment - google in the morning but at the mo me and Kazimodo are getting quietly p ssed watching random you tube vids and watching over the 3 very p ssed teenagers that have just returned from R1's big bash in Mote park)

Roy

Edit: Carriere Wellington near the LeClerk supermarket.

Thanks for that.

Good find.

The Motherland Calls was the tallest building in the world when it was constructed in 1967,

WOW!

Kinda reminds me of that scene in "Behind Enemy Lines" when Owen Wilson parachutes down besides the remains of that giant angel statue.

http://www.rotaryaction.com/images/behindel1.jpg

"The Motherland Calls was the tallest building in the world when it was constructed, measuring 279 feet from the plinth to the tip of the sword."

Did they get the year wrong or the height wrong, 'cos there's no way it was the 'tallest building in the world' at that height in 1967.

Maybe something got lost in translation and they meant tallest statue?

In the same vein, here are a few from Kings Park in Perth, Western Australia.

The first is the State War Memorial and Cenotaph commemorating all the ANZAC troops who gave their lives, particularly those from WA.

Then there's an example of the plaques in the various Honour Avenues in the park. At the bottom of the trees are plaques dedicated to soldiers who died in the wars. Where a tree has more than one plaque it shows each member of that family who died. This particular one represents 3 brothers aged 22, 23 and 25 who didn't return.

Lastly there's the very simple one dedicated to all the Aboriginal soldiers who died... look for the small roof in the bottom left.

There are plenty more in the park, dedicated to various regiments and wars but these are by far the most effective.

I would have liked to have seen the Thiepval Arch in there. Huge triple arch decorated with hundreds of thousands of names of dead WW1 soldiers, but not simply the dead, every name is a soldier whose body hasn't been found yet.

Each time remains are found and can be identified and re-interred in a military grave, the name is removed from the arch.

Guest DevilsAdvocate
I would have liked to have seen the Thiepval Arch in there. Huge triple arch decorated with hundreds of thousands of names of dead WW1 soldiers, but not simply the dead, every name is a soldier whose body hasn't been found yet.

Each time remains are found and can be identified and re-interred in a military grave, the name is removed from the arch.

Join us in the Battlefields section

[ATTACH]75295[/ATTACH]

Roy