The mkiv Supra Owners Club

digital camera

grahamc

of late, I have found that I have this lovely little black spot on my pictures, can supply examples if needed.

How is it best to clean??

Its not the lens, I have tried more than one and the black spot is in all the pics.

Guest DevilsAdvocate
of late, I have found that I have this lovely little black spot on my pictures, can supply examples if needed.

How is it best to clean??

Its not the lens, I have tried more than one and the black spot is in all the pics.

Guessing it's an SLR from the description. could be the mirror.

Roy

Guest DevilsAdvocate

nice Nikon:)

have you tried a different lens ?

could be the CMOS image sensor (expensive:blink:)

Is it still under warranty (in which case don't try 'mending' it yourself)

HTH

Roy

nice Nikon:)

have you tried a different lens ?

could be the CMOS image sensor (expensive:blink:)

Is it still under warranty (in which case don't try 'mending' it yourself)

HTH

Roy

Is a nice camera... Yes tried different lens. Going to try the compressed air and go from there.

Yes still under warranty. bought in december last year.

Guest DevilsAdvocate
Is a nice camera... Yes tried different lens. Going to try the compressed air and go from there.

Yes still under warranty. bought in december last year.

nah. just take it back, might invalidate your warranty otherwise.

Roy

Guest DevilsAdvocate
Spot on. (Scuse the pun), if it's warranted they should fix/replace, plus try claiming back the cost for the new lens.

yup, it's a 'new' model with a new larger image sensor, there may be 'issues'.

DON'T use compressed air! You can put all sorts of cr@p over the sensor - mainly moisture and this will damage it.

It's a piece of dirt on the sensor - you can get it cleaned at any decent camera shop for about £30. It's very common and isn't a fault as such. They use a tool to remove any particles of dirt etc that doesn't touch the sensor, but sucks the dirt away very gently.

There are kits available to do the job at home, but I just get mine cleaned when necessary at a local camera shop. They can do it while I wait. Some kits use a brush, but I wouldn't recommend these - if you can do it without touching the sensor, this is preferrable.

Google DSLR Sensor Cleaning - you'll find plenty of info.

have you tried saving a RAW image to the 'pooter and seing if it's still there.

no, what difference will it make? large pic?

DON'T use compressed air! You can put all sorts of cr@p over the sensor - mainly moisture and this will damage it.

It's a piece of dirt on the sensor - you can get it cleaned at any decent camera shop for about £30. It's very common and isn't a fault as such. They use a tool to remove any particles of dirt etc that doesn't touch the sensor, but sucks the dirt away very gently.

There are kits available to do the job at home, but I just get mine cleaned when necessary at a local camera shop. They can do it while I wait. Some kits use a brush, but I wouldn't recommend these - if you can do it without touching the sensor, this is preferrable.

Google DSLR Sensor Cleaning - you'll find plenty of info.

Hardly use the thing and its already dirty... this is going to be expensive :(

Thanks for the advise! Will get it sorted on the weekend then :)