The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anti dog barking collar?

JamieP

And the other thing with collar type aids is the consistency. They have to work every single time the dog shows that behaviour else it will just serve to confuse them.

Equally be careful, if you have other dogs, or your neighbours do, or for an unknown reason the collar may be triggered by a noise that isn't your dog barking, then all you will end up with is a scared and confused dog. Newer makes are getting better at eliminating false alarms but it's not 100%.

My question to you would be, when does he bark, what triggers it? How do you react. Honestly?

She only does it at night, and she has only been doing it for the past couple of weeks, couple of my neighbors have dogs and she starts them off barking, if she hears any sort of noise she does not reconise she goes potty, we also have a family of hedge hogs living down the end of the garden and she is always on the look out for them.

I started with shouting "NO" at her but she takes no notice so now i bang a magazine on the coffee table and she jumps out of her skin and that normally stops her for a bit but half an hour later she will be at it again, if she is out in the garden when she starts then there is not stopping her, ive got a big garden with plenty of places she can go that i cant get to.

The staffie i have takes no notice of any of it, never barks at anything.

I tried the spray collar with Otis and it worked well, you have a remote control that at a press of a button fires a puff of air from the dog collar. Totally harmless but gives the dog the WTF which puts them off of what they were doing etc.

She only does it at night, and she has only been doing it for the past couple of weeks, couple of my neighbors have dogs and she starts them off barking, if she hears any sort of noise she does not reconise she goes potty, we also have a family of hedge hogs living down the end of the garden and she is always on the look out for them.

I started with shouting "NO" at her but she takes no notice so now i bang a magazine on the coffee table and she jumps out of her skin and that normally stops her for a bit but half an hour later she will be at it again, if she is out in the garden when she starts then there is not stopping her, ive got a big garden with plenty of places she can go that i cant get to.

The staffie i have takes no notice of any of it, never barks at anything.

She won't learn anything from you or pay attention to you while you are giving off an angry/agressive/etc type energy. Shouting may interrupt her behaviour but you aren't teaching her what you want her to do.

I know it's difficult. I want to wring that sodding Dobermans neck at regular intervals, and shouting at him stops the behaviour temporarily but long term you need a better approach!!

The garden aspect, it sounds like she is allowed to roam your garden freely. The best thing I ever did was to set my boys a boundary. There is an area of the garden for 'toilets' the rest of it is mine. They are only allowed in it if I invite them and provided that they remain calm the entire time they are in there. Otherwise they see it as 'their' garden, which it isn't, it's mine.

Don't make the mistake of comparing your 2 dogs. They are different breeds, different ages, different everything.

Your dog is a mirror of you. If you are inclined to bang the table with a mag as a reaction to unwanted behaviour she will mirror that in her own behaviour. If you are nervous of something your dog will be etc.

What is her daily routine?

AND (sorry I enjoy this kind of thing...) don't forget that she is a Beagle. What is a Beagle? A hound. What type of hound? A scent hound. What is inbuilt into scent hound? The desire and ability to track small game? So the hedgehog obsession is really no suprise huh? You need to teach her that there is a boundary and she can not touch the hedgehogs. This particular example you may find a collar helps, however if she is bright you run the danger of her working out that it's you controlling it if it has a remote. Then she doesn't learn anything except that you cause the discomfort, which produces a lack of trust.

Which if your dogs is the dominant one?

What is her daily routine?

Her daily routine is pretty varied as it depends how busy i am, (and tbh i have been very busy the last few weeks and not been home as much as i normally am in the day) at a minimum i always come home at lunch to let them out for a run around and i never work later than 4, as she is a puppy and they chew she has a cage that she stays in when we are not at home.

She gets feed in the morning and when i get home (as does jake) and we either walk them or play in the garden every night, she goes back in the cage when we go to bed.

Which if your dogs is the dominant one?

She is. he waits till she has finished her dinner before he starts his and if she walks over to him while he is eating he will stop and walk off.

They do get on very well, always playing.

Her daily routine is pretty varied as it depends how busy i am, (and tbh i have been very busy the last few weeks and not been home as much as i normally am in the day) at a minimum i always come home at lunch to let them out for a run around and i never work later than 4, as she is a puppy and they chew she has a cage that she stays in when we are not at home.

She gets feed in the morning and when i get home (as does jake) and we either walk them or play in the garden every night, she goes back in the cage when we go to bed.

So fix that part and you'll be making good headway.

Walk every day, twice a day. At least 45 mins (don't know how old she is though?) running around the garden isn't the same as a walk. Vary the walk, don't do the same route every time.

Walk then feed them. In nature they work for food. Walking with you, as a pack then feed (obviously wait for a while if they are hot/panting etc)

I walk mine every day twice a day with a few exceptions where I might take them out for a couple of hours in one go and they are wiped out. In the morning it's the first thing I do, before a cup of tea, before anything. I get up, get dressed and walk them.

Also, challenge her mentally. Have you thought about joining a club of some sort and doing tracking or something like that? Something that calls on and uses her natural instincts.

Her being well walked and mentally challenged should help her to sleep through the night!!

Consitency is the key!!

Most shock collars give about a 3K volt zap, or less (adjustable at the transmitter on the more exotic ones), or a sound to warn that inappropriate behaviour that continues may next warrant a zap.

IMHO in a life and death situation you're better off using a collar to teach them that something is dangerous then letting them kill themselves finding out the hard way.

I've never used one but it makes sense in certain situations. After all we brought dogs into a human world, it's only fair that we prevent them being hurt by man made things that we expose them to!

I was under the impression that if you crate during the day you shouldn't put them in the crate at night as well? And vice versa?

Obviously if they're allowed to sleep downstairs and they decide to sleep in the crate then fine, but forcing them to crate all day and then all night can make the crate a negative thing?

Not that that's really relevant to the question! :hide:

I was under the impression that if you crate during the day you shouldn't put them in the crate at night as well? And vice versa?

Obviously if they're allowed to sleep downstairs and they decide to sleep in the crate then fine, but forcing them to crate all day and then all night can make the crate a negative thing?

Not that that's really relevant to the question! :hide:

I think that depends on how much you are around during the day - I was reading between teh lines and assumed Jamie was at home most of the time but popped out for a couple of hours and caged her then.

My dobe is caged during the day (obviously he's let out at intervals) but because of that I don't put him in there at night, else they end up spending the majority of time in the cage.

My personal opinion on that isn't complete on that one!! I don't have enough facts to figure it out.

Thing is, it might be relevant to the question, if she's showing unbalanced cehaviour while in the crate then it might be related. Difficult without sseeing it, and usually with a fresh pair of eyes (ie not the owners)