The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anti dog barking collar?

JamieP

There are a few - shock ones = cruel. and the other popular one is the type that sprays out a scent via remote control. Could give that a go. Or do it propperly and get some traing tips/advise - lots online discussing various techniques and you will feel good after aswel.

A method i have used with great results is just some water in a squirty bottle from b&Q used to water indoor plants etc.

EDIT - get one that sprays a fine jet for long range accuracy ;)

We have one of the spray type collars and they do work well as a training aid. They can be expensive on batteries though, so you wouldn't leave it turned on all the time - which means that often when you might want to use it it's no good because it's not turned on.

As you know, I have two Beagles and they are quite vocal dogs. They do that annoying 'warning barking', it's not an aggressive thing. Mine always bark at strangers coming in the house and at people walking past the house, but apart from that they're not too bad now. (Although as I write this Harry keeps coming in and crying to me because there's a chicken carcase in the kitchen he thinks I should give him)

Lol, one of mine is exactly the same as Jake mentioned....

She Barks at anything or anyone that is near our house....(similar breed), What makes it worse is it's a detached house on a corner plot as well... so she has 3 sides to go mental on! :(

We have tried the collar that emits a high pitch(dog audio) buzz when she barks.. it's also adjustable for the sensitivity of her voice, so you can set it for only when she kicks off loudly.

It does the job and is quite robust, think the wench got it on the bay of E.

Here are our 2 killers.......

I used to have a Dunlop anti-barking Wellington Boot - it worked well and was very accurate over a short range whilst on the end of my foot.

Over longer ranges (if thown in a tantrum) is was slow and not accurate but on the other hand my dogs would bring it back to me :D

Not recommended in the town though...

I used to have a Dunlop anti-barking Wellington Boot - it worked well and was very accurate over a short range whilst on the end of my foot.

Over longer ranges (if thown in a tantrum) is was slow and not accurate but on the other hand my dogs would bring it back to me :D

Not recommended in the town though...

lol I hope there is no one from the RSPCA on here!

We have tried the collar that emits a high pitch(dog audio) buzz when she barks.. it's also adjustable for the sensitivity of her voice, so you can set it for only when she kicks off loudly.

It does the job and is quite robust, think the wench got it on the bay of E.

I like the sound of that. I'll do a search.

Our Jack Russell barks whenever someone rings our door bell or walks up the drive, and the bark goes right through your head. Its a decent bark though, rather than a yap, at least!

We've got one of those high pitched emitters, which was great initially, but now she just ignores it, and doesn't really stop what she's doing, unless we pick her up (which is fun trying to catch her then!).

http://www.collarclinic.com/

http://www.paccollars.co.uk

They work, but need to be used correctly. Personally I think buying a beagle if you want a quiet dog is like buying a Cinquecento if you want performance :)

Barking is very often equated to boredom, they still have a lot of working instincts, and with no job to do they'll get noisy and destructive.

I think you should work towards stopping the barking without a shock collar, it's very last resort for something trivial like barking. I only use them on aggressive dogs to stop them thinking of starting a rumpus.

http://www.leerburg.com

Buy a decent collar, the cheap stuff on Ebay is rubbish. Buying from Collar Clinic is very cost effective, they are helpful and stock stuff that actually works. PAC are in Ireland, their collars are OK, but as they are hiding from the impending legislation and some nutters they can be hard to track down :)

I considered getting one of these for our Dobe but I'm glad I didn't. Manged to over come his issue just by being calm and applying the principles of dog psychology after reading books about it.

I couldn't understand why all the normal training stuff didn't work with him, but now it's all so obvious.

Also, I don't think shock collars are cruel as long as they are used correctly and only as a training aid in very particular situations. Bear in mind that they are not 'shock' collars. They don't give your dog an electric shock as the press would have you believe. They give off an (adjustable) sensation like a vibration and if using that is the choice between life and death for your dog then I don't think it's bad.

Mis-use of the collar IS bad but that's the same as mis-use of any training aid.

My question to you would be, when does he bark, what triggers it? How do you react. Honestly?

Spraying water. Be careful. There is a strong chance all you will do is teach your dog to be scared of the water sprayer. Or worse, you. It may stop the behaviour because you have scared them but it won't alter the route of the problem.

At the end of the day if you buy a 'breed' you will need to expect to see some of that behaviour coming out. You need to control it and re-direct it.

This isn't about training, it's about behaviour.