The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driver's Window Mechanism Cable Replacement

dandan

OK guys,

Winder mechanism cable snapped the other day so i am just taking the mechanism off to replace (presumeably with a new one from MR T).

I have the mechanism unbolted and the cable sleeves out and loose with the mech but the cable is still passing through the rectangular white plastic piece joined to the glass.

How do you remove the cable from there without breaking anything?

Dheers

Dan

I am planning to buy the following complete winder mech 69801 14111 and susoect it'll be somewhere close to £80!

The first pic shows where the wire snapped (red arrow)..note the one shown is not a broken one.

Second pic: Blue arrow shows the white rectangular plastic piece I am talking about. The wire "seems" to pass through here although I suspect it is retainer piece holding opposite of the same piece of wire against a preload spring. (Green arrow shows my broken cable) :(

wire3.jpg

Photo-0330.jpg

door2.jpg

Second pic: Blue arrow shows the white rectangular plastic piece I am talking about. The wire "seems" to pass through here although I suspect it is retainer piece holding opposite of the same piece of wire against a preload spring. (Green arrow shows my broken cable) :(

There are two separate cables running from the plastic motor drum, there are terminations at each end similar to bicycle brake cables.

Yes, you're correct in saying that under the cables are held in tension by a couple of springs located at the rectangular plastic piece.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys ,

the same thing happened to me yest. The cable has snapped in exactly the same point.

My questions are:

who is MR T and does he supply the cable? if yes how can i get in contact with him

and if i drill out the rivet how am i supposed to assemble it again after fitting the new cable?

thanks

who is MR T

http://www.straightupsearch.com/archives/mr_t_blue.jpg

does he supply the cable?

If he can't, show him a shed and he'll make some

if yes how can i get in contact with him

You can't. His team sense when your in trouble and they'll come to help out

On a more serious note, if you work out exactly what you need and can show me how to get at it, I can take the parts out of my door.

who is MR T and does he supply the cable? if yes how can i get in contact with him

and if i drill out the rivet how am i supposed to assemble it again after fitting the new cable?

thanks

You'll only have to drill out the rivet if you're prepared buy bike cables from Halfords etc and shorten the length and fit new terminations etc etc etc.

Toyota only sell the full assembly which is obviously much more expensive but easier if your not handy with your hands.