The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PS3 / Xbox360 Question

roboldham

Hi folks

Am likely to buy one of the above to play GTA4 - but what may swing it is how each performs as a media player.

My main requirement is to play DVD ISOs, VOBs, DivX as well as FLAC, mp3, MPC etc. from a PC based windows share - WITHOUT ANY DAMN TRANSCODING!

I would ideally prefer a PS3 as it's a serious number cruncher with a future - but can it do the above natively or easily with Linux mods?

Chee-arse

R

Neither the PS3 or Xbox 360 can play files from the PC without transcoding (at least not in the current releases). With the 360 (and I'm guessing the PS3 although I don't know) you can put your DivX movies on a memory stick and it plays quite happily.

Geo: Believe it or not there isn't a successful hack for the PS3 yet.

Steve

The 360 will play DivX stuff straight from the PC now, following the update a few months ago, I can happilly play all of my .avi files without any lagging or issues...

EDIT : That's through the XBox Dashboard though, not through the media centre.

Neither the PS3 or Xbox 360 can play files from the PC without transcoding (at least not in the current releases). With the 360 (and I'm guessing the PS3 although I don't know) you can put your DivX movies on a memory stick and it plays quite happily.

Geo: Believe it or not there isn't a successful hack for the PS3 yet.

Steve

the xbox can and im sure the ps3 must be able too. I stream HD movies to my xbox but they have to be in the right container to not require transcoding, which isnt a problem for me.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/videoplaybackfaq.htm

however Id still go for the ps3 if your after a total media solution, although streaming HD is great and just as good as bluray disk. A blu ray player is a good thing to haev for future if you want to cover the media side too.

the xbox can and im sure the ps3 must be able too. I stream HD movies to my xbox but they have to be in the right container to not require transcoding, which isnt a problem for me.

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/support/systemuse/xbox360/digitalmedia/videoplaybackfaq.htm

however Id still go for the ps3 if your after a total media solution, although streaming HD is great and just as good as bluray disk. A blu ray player is a good thing to haev for future if you want to cover the media side too.

Mmmm. I can't get my DivX files (As downloaded) to play on the 360 from my PC without messing about recoding or faking headers? They do play if I put them on a memory stick though ...

Steve

Mmmm. I can't get my DivX files (As downloaded) to play on the 360 from my PC without messing about recoding or faking headers? They do play if I put them on a memory stick though ...

Steve

thats weird mate no probs here. Especially if they play fine from a memory stick. I use tveristy on the PC rather then media player to share the files.

Steve

You've got something wrong there then mate. My 360's main use is as a media player; streaming files (.avi, .wmv, whatever) from my main PC over ethernet. Works perfectly every time.

I don't need a BlueRay player, I'm never going to be buying BR discs - hell, I don't even own any retail DVDs. Who wants to watch a film more than once anyway? I just download it from the net to the PC, watch it on TV via the xbox, maybe burn a copy or two for mates, then delete it.

I'm leaning towards PS3 cos it's superior tech - but if you cant bloody play DVD ISOs or VOBs without transcoding then pah! Any chit chat about regarding this as a future feature?

Mind you my Xbox1 does that very well with XBMC after softmodding...sooo... another fekkin box under the telly.

I'm still not HD as I haven't seen a single plasma and especially not LCD TV that beats my CRT Phillips (and doesn't look like you swallowed two acid tabs and necked a gallon of special brew) - talk about a shot in the eyes, you've been tangoed - mind you I suspect nearly every unit you see in shops is set up pretty poorly....

(actually that's a fib, I saw one plasma in a tech store in Brussels but is was 10ft across and cost £70K - lord of the rings looked damn fine)

R