The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Q about the stock airbox

hadyn

I've just seen a pic of a supra without a headlamp on and its exposed a funnel thats seemingly going into the stock airbox - am i right in thinking then that the stock airbox has two airfeeds to it - one you can see when you lift the bonnet and the other underneath the headlamp?? If so, i simply cannot see the point of an induction kit at all when you get that much cold air fed into your car :)

You did, sounds slightly throatier than stock as well.

just switched it off tonight with the bonnet up and the k&n panel made the same 'sucking' noise as the blitz sus i used to have on my S14 - why bother losing performance with an induction kit eh kids??

but ur nt kewl if u ant got teh well'ard Greedy SuperMegaAtomicMushroom Filter innit

wotll the d00dz at maccy ds say ul b a laffing stock u mite getway wiv it if ur gota reely loud dumb vaulve tho innit

im fitting a hks ssqv soon to make up for my lack of rice :werd:

lol, shame they couldnt sort the road noise or boot rubbers out then with that budget!! :)

road noise varys alot with different tyre makes in my experience........what are yours? My cheapo winter tyres (StarPerformer yeh right! :sly: ) are very noisey compared to my non standard alloys and Goodyear F1's

Also I think if all we are moaning about on a 10+yr old car are a few bits of rubber i think the budget was well spent :tongue:

I'm waving the "big single turbo" flag as an excuse for a) my mahoosive K&N filter and b) the BOV :p

I've still got both ducts though, and the under-headlight one I've drilled holes in the bottom so it can get air in from the cavity under the headlight. Christ knows if it helps but it was a free mod heh :) Should have a custom heat shield for the K&N soon, once I can persuade my Land Rover rolling chum to make it for me.

-Ian

Surely it's only off the line that an open cone causes a problem anyway? At motorway speeds there's enough cold air going in to not have to worry, but you just get more air going through.

This thread sounds like 50% of the threads on the MG ZR forum! I used to be worried about losing 3bhp!! Now it seems like a small ammount to bother caring about.

I've just seen a pic of a supra without a headlamp on and its exposed a funnel thats seemingly going into the stock airbox - am i right in thinking then that the stock airbox has two airfeeds to it - one you can see when you lift the bonnet and the other underneath the headlamp?? If so, i simply cannot see the point of an induction kit at all when you get that much cold air fed into your car :)

The problem is a lot of "upgrades" people do are actually "downgrades", I can't even remember how long I have been saying that most air filter "upgrades" are a waste of money.... :confused:

I'll be completely honest, I've put induction kits on my cars for these reasons :

1) They sound great (IMO)

2) They look much better than the plastic box

3) I was misinformed about them increasing performance.

A few years ago, I admit to buying a Vectra 2.6 V6 GSi. I sold it after four months because it was turd, but in that time I bought a K&N induction kit. Within a week I'd swapped it for a K&N Panel Filter, and the performance was much better.

However, I really don't want to go back to that big plastic box in the Supra. So if this is not an option, what is the best air intake system ?

Heat is obviously a bad thing.

All I know is my Blitz induction increases my boost by 2psi, so it's staying on :)

If you are sticking with stock it might be an idea to use a TRD air filter in the stock box, as they claim in flows more air than the stock filter.

So how does something like the MVP airbox/filter combo fair in all this? Obviously its more bling than the OE box but it still uses the existing air intakes while shielding the cone. So you'll get the sound and looks of an induction kit without hopefully as much heat, but will the shielding be as good?

Would this be a better solution if you really wanted the looks/sound without too much of a problem?

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/merchant/catalogpics/mk4/gary/pic05.jpg

All I know is my Blitz induction increases my boost by 2psi, so it's staying on :)

If you are sticking with stock it might be an idea to use a TRD air filter in the stock box, as they claim in flows more air than the stock filter.

I have used a TRD filter but now use a Toms Race filte, every bit as good as my cone on a cold day, but in any conditions.

So how does something like the MVP airbox/filter combo fair in all this? Obviously its more bling than the OE box but it still uses the existing air intakes while shielding the cone. So you'll get the sound and looks of an induction kit without hopefully as much heat, but will the shielding be as good?

Would this be a better solution if you really wanted the looks/sound without too much of a problem?

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/merchant/catalogpics/mk4/gary/pic05.jpg

Can't see the point - spend it elsewhere

Pressure V air density.... you are not comparing apples with apples!