The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra rolling shell or CHEAP NA

grahamc

A cheap NA is almost certainly going to be the most cost effective approach if you're going for anything other than a ground up rebuild (i.e. every part replaced). Keep an eye on the auctions, tired NA auto's can be had for not much more than £1500 if you are lucky. IMO it's not worth getting a shell as the time and cost of rebuilding it could easily pass the cost of a complete NA.

Are you going to hint what your plans are? It might be easier to give some recommendations with a rough idea of what your needs.

A cheap NA is almost certainly going to be the most cost effective approach if you're going for anything other than a ground up rebuild (i.e. every part replaced). Keep an eye on the auctions, tired NA auto's can be had for not much more than £1500 if you are lucky. IMO it's not worth getting a shell as the time and cost of rebuilding it could easily pass the cost of a complete NA.

Are you going to hint what your plans are? It might be easier to give some recommendations with a rough idea of what your needs.

Do agree with you...

I want to use the car for mostly drag racing, but more as something to learn with... Eventually building up the engine, etc. With a shell I might be tempted to go for a little too much power a little too quickly ;)

But still considering all my options! :D

EDIT: Jezz has a nice looking shell that I am considering.... would be good, if I knew what I wanted and not as above....

Are you planning on keeping it 2JZ?

If not then a working rolling shell from Jez would be ideal, if not and you want a fast drag car a cheap TT auto would surely be the most cost effective start point. They can be had for peanuts if you put a lot of work/time into a search.

Are you planning on keeping it 2JZ?

If not then a working rolling shell from Jez would be ideal, if not and you want a fast drag car a cheap TT auto would surely be the most cost effective start point. They can be had for peanuts if you put a lot of work/time into a search.

Still undecided on the 2JZ... it is big and heavy. However its not a bad place to start from.

I was honestly think about starting with a NA and then deciding on the engine in the not too distant future. Times are for me only in the beginning.

But yes, if I knew exactly what I wanted, then the shell would be best! However I am still undecided on some things, which is making me hesitate.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.