The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PS3 or XBOX 360

Epic

I'm guessing you haven't read any of the other posts already thoroughly discussing the guys situation with PC online gameplay etc and the lack of exclusive Xbox games. :rolleyes:

Why are you getting upset because otherpeople are choosing the xbox, relax you have made your own choice :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you getting upset because otherpeople are choosing the xbox, relax you have made your own choice :)

I'm not replying because they have posted their choice of the xbox, i'm replying because of their reasons for posting their choice. I am choosing the PS3 for my own reasons, i am not recommending the PS3 because of them. Instead i am recommending it because of his situation with the PC etc.

Most of the people on here see it as a giant pi$$ing contest about which is better, the PS3 or the Xbox, instead of looking at what would be best for this guy in his current situation.

Its like having a spud gun and asking what to use, apples or potato's, and everyone replying apples because they like them more. Makes no sense.

Depends what you want from it.

Taking online community and play out of it (presumably you use your PC).

Ignoring media centre capabilities (they are closely matched).

If it's purely a games machine, get a 360 (better games selection now, and for the next 18 months at least).

If you are also a film buff with an HD TV, get a PS3 (Blu-Ray won the format war!).

I own a 360 purely because my last console got stolen and it was the only one out at the time (being the uk we have to wait for 6 months after the rest of the world. :p @ Sony)

Could not be happier with it, and here's why (and this is not to say the ps3 hasn't got any of this):

• Masses of games to choose from
  • Cheap classics to download (don't know if the ps3 does this) - Bomberman rules!!
  • Nearly everyone I know that has a console has the 360 (so multiplayer is good - I know he has a pc for online, but only very few of my friends have a gaming pc so I thought I'd mention it)
  • Acts as a media extender (play content from your pc \ external hard drive \ usb key) - plays loads of media types - DivX, Xvid, etc. (not sure how well ps3 does this)
  • Hddvd player is almost too cheap not to buy - there are still plenty of hd dvd's to be had
  • The UI is really nice and straight forward (not sure about the ps3)
  • Movie downloads

downsides

• No web browser
  • No bluray player - although there's rumours... yeah right!
  • No GT games :( (but it does have Project Gotham which is really very good)
  • Movie downloads are rental only - rubbish!

Now for ps3 vs. 360 graphics wise, I've played on both and I really don't think there's a lot in it... they look different, but I don't think either really pulls out ahead of the other.

4 of my friends have bought a ps3.

• One got one as a present and absolutely loves it
  • One took it back after only a couple of days saying the UI was rubbish and the [game and\or console] updates were ropey at best - kept failing the download. Eventually got the update and then the console kept reporting an error.
  • One sold it and bought a 360.
  • One is about to sell his.

I really want to like the ps3, but I'm thinking I may just wait for it to mature a little more.

That is my experience and I'm sure the good people on here wont shoot me down in flames for it :D

Put it this way, the Xbox HD disc's can hold 8 gb the PS3 blue-ray discs hold 50gb which allows for much larger games with much more depth and higher quality.

To agree with the xbox fanatics though, that is going to take a bit of time to become a large factor. Don't get me wrong, when the PS3 reaches its potential it will blow everything out of the water. Its basically a generation or 2 ahead of the xbox but the features available at the moment are the same as the xbox. Trouble is the xbox does it better than the PS3, at the moment.

I'm in for a PS3 for a few games and a blu-ray player. For the moment thats it. Guy in the work again said how good COD4 online is on the PS3, he reckons that it is honestly a good enough reason to have one lol.

GT5 will be my reason :eyebrows:

Put it this way, the Xbox HD disc's can hold 8 gb the PS3 blue-ray discs hold 50gb which allows for much larger games with much more depth and higher quality.

Not that im saying i look at iso's :innocent: but very few games are using the blu ray discs to full capactiy alot of the games are under 8gb even for PS3, so its not a major factor yet.

but in long run im sure that will become a factor, but Im not to sure by how much as they both encode differently and like I said the xbox has a more powerful graphics processor...thank god!

Im wondering will the ps3 be like the ps2 and reach its potential once the market is moving on to the next console as surely microsoft will have to bring another console out in 3 - 4yrs?

PS3 for me. X-Box is older technology, and the PS3 is just starting to get going game-wise. Plus you have a blu ray player that the X-Box wont be getting according to the stories I've read online.

Both are pretty comparable on the graphics front...although developers are only starting to get to grips with the PS3 and its been a bit of a pig to develop for.. hence the lack of games.

I am not a fan boy of xbox, like some member has stated, :rolleyes: i give my views based on my experiences. which is what we all do bringing out the fan boy comment is lame !

I couldn't care less which console the gentleman buys i just wanted to give him my opinions based on my experiences which as it happens are because i have an xbox, if i had a ps3 it would be based on ownership of said console instead.

To pick up on one point about disc sizes and gaming,

Pc gaming is 2 or 3 generations beyond anything on a console with much more power and ability to develop large scale environments, the games are not anywhere near the spec to fill a blu ray disc and i don't think they will be for sometime yet.

but in long run im sure that will become a factor, but Im not to sure by how much as they both encode differently and like I said the xbox has a more powerful graphics processor...thank god!

However its gfx chip is made by ATI and how good have they been recently?

Also I would like to make the same point again. The guy has a PC

Please someone name me a game that is on the 360 that would make him run out and buy a 360 for that is either A) not on a PC, PS3 already or B) not planned for PC release.

I wouldn't call myself a fan boy but I've had all three generations of Playstation now.

For me the fact that you can install Linux on the PS3, it seems better as a media streaming device, upgrading the hard disk is a fully supported task, and has Blu-Ray for the future when I do eventually get a HD TV swings it for me... That and GT5.

However, from a gaming point of view, I've seen several side by side comparisons of the same game on both PS3 and XBox. To me the XBox graphics always look sharper and, in my mind, slightly better as a result. The PS3 graphics look smoother and softer.

Pc gaming is 2 or 3 generations beyond anything on a console with much more power and ability to develop large scale environments, the games are not anywhere near the spec to fill a blu ray disc and i don't think they will be for sometime yet.

PS3 games are nowhere near making use of Blu Ray capacity yet, and until blu ray drives on PC's get more established they'll just release things on multiple DVD's. (hell I remember Monkey Island 2 coming on 12 floppies?)

I had a major dilemma over this decision until Sony decided to downgrade the UK machines to make more money...

simple decision after that really...

Not really an issue IMO (although I have an earlier 60GB model). I still had my PS2 if I wanted to play the old games, but why would I when I had nice shiney new PS3 games? There's also some PS1/PS2 games to download in the store with a lot more on the way I understand.