The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just been...

imi-7

...pulled up by the Police for having non legal number plates. I explained to the officer that the car recently passed it's MOT, but he was telling me it needs to include all kinds of British Standard Kite Marks etc (but the DVLA says these are Optional).. I have had these on my car for 5 years with no hassles, but got pulled up by a guy who seemed to have nothing better to do !!

Annoyed!

Also he asked me to poduce my MOT and Insurance, even though the lady over the radio clearly stated I had both Insurance and MOT valid.

Doubly Annoyed !!

I know there should be a load of BS numbers etc along the bottom of the plates, plus the name of the plate provider/maker with RNPS number or something....

But Michael has a point... perhaps he wants to investigate why they passed an MOT in the first place.

I would imagine he's a petty tosser with nothing better to do as houses are being burgled and people being raped and murdered all over the place!!

I am still upset that I got fined on the way back from JAE last year. Although the plate was silly small, I demonstrated that it was difficult to remove as it had been glued to the plate holder and pulling it nearly pulled the bumper out. A simple producer and VDRS would have solved the issue but no, he had to get the fine book out.....:rolleyes:

I now have two new plates, the rear one has the makers details and the post code etc but the front one has no details at all besides the plate number!

H.

to be honest its all a load of crap....and i feel for you mate. Iam on my 4th supra and when i 1st started owning then the police were on my case all the time. the latest one is a J-spec import with the square type plates on, no insignia, no codes or marking on just plain and again i got pulled. At the time there happened to be nxt to a BMW garage ....to my advantage i point out the various different style of the plates on the cars there. I informed him dispite having a bike type plate the text on mine was infact legal and the DVLA had recent done a check on the vehicle via its import registration, hence they were the one who did my plates!! The next day i out of chioce i took all my documentsdown the cop shop and they havent hassled me since!

...but he was telling me it needs to include all kinds of British Standard Kite Marks etc (but the DVLA says these are Optional)..

Optional???

From the DVLA website:

VEHICLE REGISTRATION MARKS including marks offered for sale and purchased through DVLA’s Sales Scheme must be displayed in accordance with The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (obtainable from HMSO).

The Regulations specify the typeface, the size, colouring and the British Standard that number plates must conform to

And as the relevant British Standard for our cars is BS AU 145d, which states that for a plate to conform to this standard, it must be:

permanently and legibly marked with the

following information:-

1. The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)

2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier

3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet

I'd say you don't have much to argue about really.

As for the Police Officer not having anything better to do, well...what would you expect - he's being paid to do his job, and it looks like he's....well.....doing it!

(Shocker!)

Sorry, Imi-7 but I've had illegal plates on vehicles too, but when I've been pulled up for them, I've just had to change them and on one occasion got a £30 fine which I paid straight away. Same as speeding - if I get caught going over the speed limit, how can I moan if a Police Officer does his job and reports me for it?

Don't take this sort of thing from the Police so personally. There's been a crackdown on illegal numberplates in many parts of the UK recently, so I suppose this sort of thing is to be expected.

I agree with you Mr Dogg but do you not think the Police should be doing "more" of their job, ie: catching drug dealers, thieves, robbers, murderers, buggerers etc?

It seems that the Police are only interested in making money and hitting the easy target. If that is doing their job then they are damn good at it and should be proud of themselves. I guess the members of the public who are being terrorised by nuisance kids and having their peoperty knicked/damaged will have to admire the Police for what they do well eh?;)

H.

I agree with you Mr Dogg but do you not think the Police should be doing "more" of their job, ie: catching drug dealers, thieves, robbers, murderers, buggerers etc?

It seems that the Police are only interested in making money and hitting the easy target. If that is doing their job then they are damn good at it and should be proud of themselves. I guess the members of the public who are being terrorised by nuisance kids and having their peoperty knicked/damaged will have to admire the Police for what they do well eh?;)

H.

For someone who is ex job that's a very blinkered view. ;)

If you drive a car on the road with non legal plates then expect to get stopped.

For someone who is ex job that's a very blinkered view. ;)

If you drive a car on the road with non legal plates then expect to get stopped.

It's like catch phrase Doug. I just say what I see mate....;) Things were a bit better 14 years ago when I joined, the way motorists are now treated is much worse. I have never seen an officer on foot patrol in my village, let alone my estate.

One of my elderly neighbours commented to me a while back that the last copper to walk around our estate was 8 years ago............it just happened to be me...:rolleyes: I also think that being "ex job" has made me this way tbh!

H.

I'm also ex-job.

Havard - how come you use the old argument of 'they should be out catching real criminals'? You know as well as I do that there are different departments for different areas of policing.

Put it this way, until recently I have been working for an insurance compeny in IT. Now if my employer sent me and all my colleagues out as loss adjusters, we'd be cr@p at that because we wouldn't be expert in the processes that are used by that part of the organisation. Conversely, the loss adjusters would likely crash the company's whole IT infrastructure if they tinkered with it.

In the police, the traffic officers are expert at their job - but don't go asking them to investigate a burglary or serious fraud or a rape, because there are people who are more expert in those areas who ARE out catching those type of criminals. We can't expect the entire police force to go after burglars et al and neglect all the other equally important areas of everyday policing just because we don't like getting pulled for traffic offences.

I agree that things have changed over the years though. I joined in the 80's and things were waaaayy different then. Maybe there's too much political stuff going on these days that intereferes with the priorities that are set for the police to concentrate on.

Thanks Lads for the advice - I'm off to buy some new plates :-). I have not taken it personally, but just came back up North and have not been around for even 2 hours and got pulled up!

Just lucky I did not get fined!

Blooming cold up here 'an all !

I could be totally wrong, but i was under the impression that the BS number and suplier name, etc, is only applied to cars that are 2001/2002 (i cant remember which year) onwards. If your car was made before that date and has plates on it that were made before 200? then it dosnt need to show the other markings.

This is assuming your plates are the correct size and font.

I could be totally wrong, but i was under the impression that the BS number and suplier name, etc, is only applied to cars that are 2001/2002 (i cant remember which year) onwards. If your car was made before that date and has plates on it that were made before 200? then it dosnt need to show the other markings.

This is assuming your plates are the correct size and font.

NEW cars had to meet the new regulations when sold after 1st Sept. 2001, but ANY plates fitted to a car after that date, where the car was manufactured after 1st January 1973 must also meet this new requirement.

If you car was imported in 2000 and still has the plates on it that were fitted in 2000, then you're ok.

However, as the Police will be able to see when your car was first registered, and as the majority of J-Spec Supras have come in since this regulation became law, you'd have to be pretty good to convince someone that the plates were fitted pre-September 2001 when they have just found on the PNC that the car wasn't registered in the country until something like 2004!

I'm also ex-job.

Havard - how come you use the old argument of 'they should be out catching real criminals'? You know as well as I do that there are different departments for different areas of policing.

Obviously there are different areas of Policing but it's on the whole they seem to be making a balls of it IMO. I spent 7years as a Special on one of the roughest estates in Wigan. During that time I was massively dedicated to the cause, it's only the fact that my salary in my day job kept ahead of the Police so taking a drop was never an option. I just find the lack of consistency amazing. I look back now at some of the situations I put myself in and I now think I must have been barmy.

In my naivety I actually thought my efforts were making a difference.....:rolleyes: I was lucky really, most specials are used as traffic cones with a pulse but I was part of a group that were given real jobs to do. I also set the GMP record for the most hours served in one month by a Special (mainly because I was between jobs and really bored). I look at recent events and it makes my blood boil, a guy a used to work with was kicked to death by a bunch of teenagers in Warrington last year, they had called the Police on a number of occasions and set up a neighbourhood campaign against this bunch of kids. The coppers never responded to the calls and eventually it cost Garry his life. I go to Mascrat two weeks later and they have 10 officers out giving people fines for having illegal number plates..............what is the priority?:( Granted, I have gone from being extremely pro Police to completely anti. I have nothing against the individual officers but the people in charge seem to be totally oblivious to what happens in reality!

Sorry for the long reply!

Havard, were you real police or a Special?

See above. Awaits stereotypical p!$$ taking and hobby bobby comments!

I had no front number plate on my car for nearly a year, had loads of cops pass the car and they never said a thing. Strange :search:

maybe its where you live ;)

Or the apathy of the local force?

H.

See above. Awaits stereotypical p!$$ taking and hobby bobby comments!

Not from me I'm afraid :)

I just know a few ex-Specials and a few ex-"Real" Police and the former specials tend to be a lot more bitter towards the current state of the force than those who were in it full time so to speak, hence my curiosity to see which camp you fell into :innocent:

Not from me I'm afraid :)

I just know a few ex-Specials and a few ex-"Real" Police and the former specials tend to be a lot more bitter towards the current state of the force than those who were in it full time so to speak, hence my curiosity to see which camp you fell into :innocent:

Impressed, apologies for the pre-judgement. I was really proud when I got in at 19 and always thought that I would be a "real" copper at 21. Things didn't turn out that way as described in my last post. I have many great stories to tell my kids but my enduring memory is that I was disappointed with a lot of officers who saw it as a job and were apathetic to the people they were dealing with.....:(

H.

It seems that the Police are only interested in making money and hitting the easy target. If that is doing their job then they are damn good at it and should be proud of themselves. I guess the members of the public who are being terrorised by nuisance kids and having their property nicked/damaged will have to admire the Police for what they do well eh?

Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Constabulary seems to agree with you.

A couple of quotes from his latest report

......one region appears to have a significant number of organised gangs, some of which are using firearms, that are not currently subject to police attention.

The consequence of poor professional judgment, combined with existing performance management arrangements, are that officers are encouraged to criminalise people for behaviour which may have caused offence but the underlying behaviour would be better dealt with in a different way.

(I think that means that they go for the easy targets because it makes the figures look good. Why can't they write these reports in English?)

Guest mattsupra

i thought that jspec cars didnt have to have legal sized number plates as im sure there is a catch somewhere?

i maybe wrong in all this but i have mates who have been stopped and got stupidly small plates on the front and nothing has been said due to this

but like you say i got stopped in my f150 pickup and its also an import so shouldnt matter (but it did ) and all i had was red aroudn each number and letter and they tried taking my truck off me for it but like whats been said already there was a big thing on it at the time round my way so i lost it and told the copper so too

it was 2am loads of drunken arses about fighting and throwing bottles and they just stood there and looked at them and did nothing yet i got all the blues on and they werent hanging about either and got stopped when anyone of those drunken people could of walked out infront of them just for so called illegal plates

does that make it right? i dont think so when a police officer is scraping somone off the road for a £30 fine do you ?

oh and before anyone gets on my case about it my great grandfather was the cheif of police of some parts of lincolnshire and a few others in my family too (so there lol)

matt

sorry rant over lol