The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats the best wax/polish around at the min?

JamieP

1z wax polish soft is my choice (as it contains fillers for small swirls).... :) finished off with Chemical Guys Hardcore XXX glaze.

However it is a choice thing really..... :)

Polish removes old layers of paint/lacquer (very small amounts, not like sanding it)

Wax adds shine

Wax/Polish, whats the difference? and whats the best stuff for a black car to give that real wet look?

Cheers Jamie:)

How often do you intend to wax it?

I've been testing a selection on the black Supra recently and was impressed with all of the following:

Chemical Guys 50/50

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet

Victoria Concours

However a wax only gives so much, the wet look really needs all defects to be removed on the car first, something you can only really achieve with a good machine polish and plenty of time. A lot of people, posh car wash chaps included, will stick on a polish / wax with lots of fillers in to mask these defects, looks ace for a day, impresses the customer, but soon goes back to swirl city.

I don't know what state your paint is in at the moment but it's pointless putting a good wax on unless you prep it well to begin with, that's where the wet look really comes from.

Paint is spotless, no swirles at all and i dont mind waxing it once every week or two:)

You've obviously got the washing and drying thing sorted then - hard to keep black completely swirl free :thumbs:

Any of the ones I mentioned above will be suitable for you, they all last pretty well but if you can layer them up they get even more impressive. They are all really easy to work with too, no effort at all to put them on or take them off.

As Gav says though it tends to be a very personal thing, I've had some silly money Zymol stuff on my car next to waxes costing under £100 a go and couldn't tell any difference visually or after a period of a month or two, quite a bit of it tends to be hype, £30 can get you some really nice stuff :)

If you do want to spend that little bit more Swissvax Best of Show seems to be very highly regarded, I need to use some others up before I try that out though. In the meantime you might get an idea of it from this:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=60353

I had the Dodo Double Wax they mention in this one on my bonnet for a while, next to the Zymol, it was almost identical on all counts:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=60321

But they have a new one called "Supernatural" that's a single wax and supposed to give similar results.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo-juice/cat_59.html

You've obviously got the washing and drying thing sorted then - hard to keep black completely swirl free :thumbs:

Any of the ones I mentioned above will be suitable for you, they all last pretty well but if you can layer them up they get even more impressive. They are all really easy to work with too, no effort at all to put them on or take them off.

As Gav says though it tends to be a very personal thing, I've had some silly money Zymol stuff on my car next to waxes costing under £100 a go and couldn't tell any difference visually or after a period of a month or two, quite a bit of it tends to be hype, £30 can get you some really nice stuff :)

If you do want to spend that little bit more Swissvax Best of Show seems to be very highly regarded, I need to use some others up before I try that out though. In the meantime you might get an idea of it from this:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=60353

I had the Dodo Double Wax they mention in this one on my bonnet for a while, next to the Zymol, it was almost identical on all counts:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=60321

But they have a new one called "Supernatural" that's a single wax and supposed to give similar results.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/dodo-juice/cat_59.html

Thanks guys, thats Rogers Monaro, that guy did an amazing job.

Also best place to buy from? seen loads stuff on ebay? EDIT.. ill just buy from them links, thanks Michael.

Thanks guys, thats Rogers Monaro, that guy did an amazing job.

It's a cracker of a car :)

Also best place to buy from? seen loads stuff on ebay?

eBay tends to offer savings of a few quid and a lot of the detailing suppliers use it in addition to their own sites, on high-end stuff I'd be worried about fakes but on the cheaper stuff you should be OK :)

I use http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk for 99% of my orders but everyone has their favourites, I haven't really heard of any really rogue traders that need to be avoided.

Nobody use Auto GLYM or MEGUIRES (trade as retail product is not worlds apart)

Used to use the autoglym stuff but to be honest I found it created too much dust when taking it off. Still have some in the shed and I do use it once in a while. I use the meguires citrus cleaner and wheel cleaner (yellow and purple, both trade 5l ones) as part of my little routine

Used to use the autoglym stuff but to be honest I found it created too much dust when taking it off. Still have some in the shed and I do use it once in a while. I use the meguires citrus cleaner and wheel cleaner (yellow and purple, both trade 5l ones) as part of my little routine

I just Mix and Match between the two, but in Ireland I am sure we dont have as comprehensive selection as UK so Meguires and Autoglym for me

What the best option for a n00b to use who hasn't got the time and is too scared to go for the full clay bar -> wax route?

I just wash at the mo, only started using the 2 bucket method before Christmas, use some basic polish every so often (which I guess is partly abbrasive and adds some laquer at the same time?). Anything better I could be doing without spending loads of time/money?