The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track car?

JamieP

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a cheap, reliable track car the E36 has to be near the top of the list. M3 would be only thing to keep it interesting, the 328i would be far too gutless for your tastes ;)

If you're feeling a bit mad how about a Supra with an LS1 :D Cheap to build, *should* be reliable as anything out there, and has huge potential for more power should you feel the need.

I did think of the 75 as I had a 2.0 LE, but they are ugly buggers :p Mine was cool though, handled well. They run them at the 'ring too :)

They are boxy looking, though they look alright with the veloce bodykit on mated with some nice wheels.

You can get the Ron Simons suspension kit (he's the chap who runs the 'alfa experience' at the ring) and its meant to handle really well then.

out of interest how much roughly would all that cost Matt? Im thinking of totally stripping mine out for a trackday car.

To keep costs down there are a few ways you could get it done, especially if you have any good contacts for fabbing work etc etc.

some ideas..

Headwork - OS Valves, Springs/retainers and cams from Brian Crower, titan cam gears

Get head ported and polished and ports opened as much as possible. Drop compression with head skim or if money allows custom Pistons.

Exhaust - cheap route is modified N/A header from the states or if money allows then a custom fabbed manifold

Throttle Bodies - Cheap route, M3 ITB's as they are a 48mm port and the closest match to suit the 2jzge with out going into the theory work. Can be got complete for around 200 quid.

Use the m3 injector ports for idle control using remote ICV and piping, stock TPS can be modified to fit, lower stock 2jz manifold welded to m3 ITB's. Custom air box or indivdual bells.

ECU :- the 2jzge is map based but even though the m3 ITB setup has vac porting its not the best, so you could go the Megasquirt route, or retain the stock ecu and go with the mapecuII with latest firmware which lets you map via TPS and RPM

Fuel - Walbro Pump, supra 7mgte 440cc injectors which should be ample

And the other things to help - Lightened flywheel, upgraded cooling system, decent clutch, play with different ratios on the diffs?? etc etc

Well so far ive read the e36 evo 6 speed box aint great and if breaks cant be rebuilt, normal m3 with 5 speed seems to be the better car ive read.

Indeed.

Theres very little performance difference betwee the two.. I have owned both, a 95 and 97 plate M3.

With some minor tweaks and a remap the 3 litre S50B30 engined M3 cant be beaten.

Less temperemental transmission wise and also only has single vanos.

The dual vanos of the 'Evo' is notorious for failing (rattles like marbles in a tin can) and its a £1750~ fix at a dealers.

3 litre M3 is much more hardy IMHO.

Performance is great fun, not single turbo supra of course but the handling more than makes up for it.

Will be interesting to see it bud. Any chance you could put a rough cost in with your build thread? Very tempted to do this as well in a few years time once we get a house with a bigger garage/drive.

Yup ill do build costs along with photos, im going to see a 93 M3 in blue in a min.