The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track car?

JamieP

I really enjoyed driving the monaro round the track yesterday and now im thinking of buying/building a road legal track car (cant be arsed with messing about with trailers)

Budget is 10k and has to have a decent power to weight ratio and a strong engine, currently thinking of an E36 M3.

Dont want an open top kit car.

Any other thoughts?:)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not get an old S13 200SX or MR2 Turbo and invest the spare cash in gear to set it up for the track?

S13/S14 might be ok but not sure if i could live with the turbolag.

MR2 is to small for me.

E36 M3 would be a good choice - coupe, hardtop, rip the interior out - you'll get money back on that.

Easy to shed 100+ kilos out of one of them ...

Thats what im thinking, strip it install 2 carbon seats and a set of AP brakes and coilover kit and R888, wont cost to much me thinks.

Lotus Elise? or is that too under powered for you even it only weighs 700ish kgs

Example with Tech data

To small.

M3 deffo mate.

You need a good chassis on track although the e36 engine is not as good as the s54 e46 m3.

You could get a e46 for around 14k and strip bits and get some money back to bring you closer to your budjet.

I like the thinking but not sure i could do it to such a nice new car.

Defo an E36, im looking at getting one for a track car with a mate

Not a blumming M3 tho, lucky man!

Would be ideal!

M3 Evo if you can stretch to it!

Well so far ive read the e36 evo 6 speed box aint great and if breaks cant be rebuilt, normal m3 with 5 speed seems to be the better car ive read.

I didnt no that one, but then again im not looking at either M3 so yeah probly good idea to miss that then.

A stripped out M3 will be a warrior around a track

My friend had a e36 M3 and it was lovely, so smooth and handled very well

And yes theres loads that can be stripped out the heavy leather interior for one!