The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost differnce between gauge and controller.

Pig

Collected my car from a full service yesterday. Also had an exhaust butterfly fitted.

The car is now reading higher boost than before. Only took it out last night when it was cold on the way home.

The boost gauge is now reading 1.66 bar peak. Before it was rare that it went over 1.5 (i normally ran it at 1.45 as was strongly advised to stick at 1.4)

However the boost controller is reading 1.36 peak. The boost controller is setup to produce 1.45 bar.

I lowered the boost controller to 0.6bar and that worked. (never done that before only ever run on full boost :eyebrows:)

Please note i have only used the car last night and the car was behaving normally apart from 1 run - 1st gear fine, 2nd gear restricted (not sure what that was about)

Please also note that the car did feel like it was pulling a fair bit harder than when it went in, but this could be a case of me not driving it for a couple of weeks.

CW once mentioned to me that he finds gauges often over read slightly.

Are they both receiving the same signal from the same location?

Need to check. I am going to try to find time to plum in a normal (non-electronic) boost gauge. Trouble is i cant do it till im actually at Marham.

I was wondering if it could be a boost leak causing the extra or lack boost?

Part of the reason for thinking that is the fact that the boost controller is setup for 1.45 and is only reaching 1.36.

Wait till Marham mate and i will plug in the laptop and tell you exactly what you are boosting too.

Does your boost controller auto correct for temp changes

Ryan

I dont think so. Its the Blitz S something or other colour one.

That would make life easier if we could just plug in.

Im going to try to find some vacume hose incase of a boost leak.

Will it be easy to tell if there is a leak? My boost controller is showing a graph of boost pressure which is quite up and down. I would have expect it to get to the required boost and hold it there.

Dam poopra's, i have got the hump now even though i know its not a great issue :(

Went out for a spin tonight and setup the boost controller to produce graphs.

The car is holding boost and pulling perfectly.

The boost gauge started off reading high, as high as 1.7 bar :tape: However after fiddling with the pipe the boost gauge was reading less than the boost controller. the final pull was 1.32 bar in 3rd and the gauge ran 0.29 bar.

So im going with either a knackered gauge or a leak. Have new pipe ready to start changing.

Happy now :)