The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Retrospective Changes to Road Tax in the Budget

Soop Dogg

I must be thick or something but I still don't get how much I will have to pay next year :blink:

The supe is a 94 L-reg imported in the UK in 2002.

What do they take into account, the registration date in the UK or the original manufacturing date?

Cheers ;)

I still think road tax should be governed by mileage also.

I do around 3-4k miles in my sup and another 6k in a 106. I am going to change the 106 for an oil burner simply to save a bit of cash going to and from work.

That means that to do 10k miles i have to pay twice as much money as a salesman doing 40k miles per year.

Shocking!

Scott =op

WHich is why I think they should do away with road tax and put it on the price of fuel. Then if you only do 4k miles a year, you pay less, but if you choose to do it in a Hummer, you pay more per mile as the vehicle itself regulates your cost per mile by its' fuel economy. Those who do 40k miles per year in their Mondeos will pay more for the extra miles. Simple.

Has anyone actually tried to find out where the money goes from the Road Tax income?

Straight to the treasury's coffers along with all other duties from tabacco, alchohol, fuel, import etc. It's then all put into one pot then divvied out to various ministries and causes, regardless of how it's collected, so VED doesn't directly pay for the roads and tabbaco tax doesn't pay for the NHS.

I think the 1993-1996 Supras will be ok as their C02 wasn't recorded on a database, the 1997-2002 Supras perhaps were (Silversoop says his V5 has 303g/km on it). Hopefuly the early cars will remain paying £200 +/-20 under the new rules.

Perversly this new VED will make enthusiasts buy older cars that have higher levels of Mox/Nox which is far more harmful than the plant food gas our government want to tax us on.

I had a "Carbon Footprint" assesment a few months ago, turns out that my footprint is MINUS 4 tons- are the government going to give me money- are they b*llocks.

In the budget earlier this month, the government made changes retrospectively to the groupings for vehicle excise duty for some cars.

This might not really affect Supras unless you have one 'first registered' after 1 March 2001. How that will affect a 1993 car that's just arrived here, I'm not sure. However, as the Supra is not getting any younger, many of us will be looking for something to replace it with (some of us already have done) - and that's not going to be a Yaris!

Anyway, many cars that were in the same group as the Supra, Group F have been moved into the new group M.

At the moment, a group F car (registered after 01/03/2001) will cost you £210 for 12 months road tax.

Next year the same car will be in group M and cost £440 for 12 months road tax! The year after, it will go up to £455.

So once again, our government is ripping us off under the guise of being 'green'. If they really wanted to do something about the environment, they'd start with corporations who spew more into the atmosphere than we ever could.

Anyway, there's a petition to try and get them to reverse the retrospective element to all of this. Not that they'll ever listen, but if we don't say anything, then we have no place complaining. Who's to say they won't introduce more retrospective changes for any car on the road regardless of how old it is that has higher emissions than a blade of grass?

LINK

Yeh tell me about it! As i put in the thread a little while ago which i posted about road tax prices, unfortunetely, it looks as though "our" labour have done us all over once again!

Because my supe was imported late last year and on my V5, i had the emissions printed and recorded and also my car has been approved the catorgory M1.

So basically this means that for 6 months road tax, i have to pay £225.00 and for 12 months its £440.00 and this is only this year! :blink:

Its only going to get worse for tax and fuel costs rising!

This country is a joke!!

The good thing is though, if anyone is concerned about their road tax prices, log on to the dvla website and look up your vehicle enquiry and it will tell you how much you have to pay :(

WHich is why I think they should do away with road tax and put it on the price of fuel. Then if you only do 4k miles a year, you pay less, but if you choose to do it in a Hummer, you pay more per mile as the vehicle itself regulates your cost per mile by its' fuel economy. Those who do 40k miles per year in their Mondeos will pay more for the extra miles. Simple.

Good idea in principle but they would just start taking more and more liberties.

Not that they aren't already lol.

Scott =op

I still think changing the traffic light system is a much better idea than taxing cars to death.

We don't need traffic lights on 99% of roundabouts, they regulate themselves.

We only need traffic lights on junctions where no right of way is decided (ie: where the junction was designed with lights).

We only need traffic lights on at most other junctions during that junctions' most busy periods, say 07:30-09:30 and 16:30-18:30.

My average speed on my car is 22mph, when I drive mostly on 30 and 40mph roads, which means I'm wasting nearly 40% of my time sat at traffic lights!!!!! If every car in the country shaved 40% off it's pollution every day the problem would be nearly half solved!!!

My average speed on my car is 22mph, when I drive mostly on 30 and 40mph roads, which means I'm wasting nearly 40% of my time sat at traffic lights!!!!! If every car in the country shaved 40% off it's pollution every day the problem would be nearly half solved!!!

in the city of london it is 9mph.....and Mr Livingstone is on record saying that he is proud of extending the duration of the lights being red.

They dont call him Red Ken for nothing.... :(

Just like my dear old dad said 20 years ago. Problem sorted :)

Totally agree. I think the only argument that has been put up against this is that applying for RFL forces you to present MOT and insurance documents on an annual basis. IMO, that's a spurious argument (especially now that this can be verified electronically by DVLA database): carry on doing that by all means (to keep the POs open?!) but do it like those with classic cars who still have to apply for a tax disc and display it but just don't pay for it; get the money through fuel (mileage)!

I don't know if this helps but I just renewed my car tax (post-budget increase) for my 1997 VVTi (first registered here 2004) and paid £185 (phew).

Further VED changes included:

• Reducing the standard rate of VED in 2009-10 for all new and existing cars that emit 150g/km of CO2 or less and increasing the standard rate of VED on the most polluting cars to £425.

Here's hoping that won't apply to cars registered before 2001.

Otherwise we're all in the doodoo. :(

Thats interesting, but still not 100% sure if by this:

From 1st March 2001 the annual car tax (or Vehicle Excise Duty - VED) rates are determined by CO2 emissions and type of fuel used. This information is on the car’s log book - also called a V5 document.

If your car was registered before the 1st March 2001 then car tax is based only on the engine size, with one rate for engine sizes up to and including 1549cc and one for engines over 1549cc.

it means first registered in the uk or first registered period? Is for example a 94 car registered in the uk in say 2002 going to be subjected to the new bands? Bit confused TBH and forgive me if I am being thick and this has already been covered.