The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Axle Stands

Scott

Looking at getting a pair of axle stands. Not looking for professional ones or anything like that just ones that will do the job safely.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-78210-4-TONNE-FOLDABLE-AXLE-STANDS_W0QQitemZ320205469552QQihZ011QQcategoryZ108783QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Those ones any good? I would prefer a brand name if possible and thats about the best price i can find.

Cheers

Scott =op

Ahh good plan folks. I always thought halfrauds were overpriced.

I'll have a look!

Thanks

Another thing though, i've done a search and not really came up with anything conclusive. Where do you guys put the axle stands? It says in the manual to use the jacking points which seems strange. Is there any point in getting a trolley jack? I'm not even sure if i can get it under the car but i'm pretty sure the trolley jack will allow me to lift the car a bit higher.

thanks again

Scott =op

Are your axle stands shaped to fit into the rails or do you just put them elsewhere?

I will probably use the stock jack to lift up the car enough to get the proper jack under lol. My car is lowered and has veilsides making it a bit of a pain.

All this coz i want to fit a de-cat pipe lol.

Scott =op

Another thing though, i've done a search and not really came up with anything conclusive. Where do you guys put the axle stands? It says in the manual to use the jacking points which seems strange. Is there any point in getting a trolley jack? I'm not even sure if i can get it under the car but i'm pretty sure the trolley jack will allow me to lift the car a bit higher.

thanks again

I always used to use the standard scissor boot jack (but i would advise you to get the same design but heavier duty draper type one) to raise the front and then lower onto axle stands positioned just behind them. For diy i like the ease of lowering the car back down gently despite the physical effort it takes to raise it :)

I see you have a stock rear bumper so a regular trolley jack can be used to lift the rear by the diff and then lowered onto stands postioned at the rear jacking points.........

Are your axle stands shaped to fit into the rails or do you just put them elsewhere?

Scott =op

this is a bit of a PITA..........and is another good IMO reason to have the scissor jacks up front as you can lower them so that they and the axle stands (with foam/wood bits on top) share the weight.

I also do this at the rear and lower the trolley Jack until the axle stands load up but the jack it still doing its bit too........

probably a bit OTT but whilst i love to tinker, i'm not a massive fan of actually being under the car for any length of time!

It's much better to put the car up on ramps if you aren't working on the suspension.

Ramps

I don't use these ramps,I adapted some normal ones to lessen the slope.

If I'm just working on the suspension at one corner I use the scissor jack to lift it then use one or two axel stands at that corner, like Scooter I leave the jack in place to share the weight with the axel stands.

If I'm working on both sides at the front or rear I'll drive up on some thick wooden planks and then lift it with the trolley jack which is placed at the front subframe or under the differential and then use the axel stands to share the weight.

If you're going to use a trolly jack under the sills you need a length of heavy angle iron to sit like a V between the sill and the trolley jack pad, else you will flatten the side rails...

...like wot I has done.