The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1JZ head on a 2JZ block?

Pete

The cars this was done to were Mk3 Supes, hence 1JZ already in place ;D

If it's in the states that cant be right as only the JDM mk3's run 1JZ's?

have you got a link? I'm quite interested as there are then 2 types of 1.5JZ lol

Guest DaveWilko

I'm not saying i'm right and others are wrong. I'm no expert :) If its possible to put a 2jz head on a 1jz then its equally possible to do the opposite. Not something I'd tackle without proof it was better though :D

I don't remember where I read it but it was deffo mk3 supes and guys were puttin 2jz heads on cos they flow better which kinda makes sense to me considering the 2jz is 500cc bigger and why would they make the bigger engine with an inferior head? :p

Guest suprabass
Ah cool. It looks like a bit of a monster. Have you seen Modified Motors April issue over there yet? Apparently it's an Irish magazine.

Hi yea it's a bit of a handfull alright yea seen the issue car wasnt in the best shape of its life when the photos were takin but got here repainted (white and all tidyed up),

The engine is a 2jz bottem end rebuilt with HKS intenals, head is a 1jz ported and polished etc etc, the actual engine of the supra came out of that soarer that is in the video that you posted up. And thanks to traders on here the car is having more and more treats added to it.

Will get pics up of the car and the build very soon just waiting for the graphic man to do his work.

Oh and if anyone is interested the car will be drifting this year hopefully in EDC running alongside time-attack.

We do a lot of soarer and supra 1jzgte work here in N.Ireland as chris knows. The main reason behind the 1.5jz swap it usually to retain the head and components if they have been modified i.e. Cams, turbos, injectors etc etc as Its far easier to fit a 2jz block if things have went wrong with the Standard 1jz lump.

The stock 1jz ecu Can run a full 2jz jspec engine and turbos, its almost plug an play, we do these swaps aswell, but, they can only run in TTC mode due to the fact the 1jz is a parrallel setup.

As Gareth knows, the 1jz head flow theory has been branded about for many many years, but im still to see any hard proof of this.

And for anyone who knows the mk3 7mgte engine, it can be replaced with a 2jzge with only a small modification to the Dissy to run the stock 7m CPS ;)

Marty

The 1.5jz is, as previously mentioned, only really benificial if you already have 1jz head work done. I had 1jz cams, manifolds and headwork. The extra, displacement was needed from the 2jz short block to help spool the t78. The logical step is to do the 1.5jz.

:eyebrows: