The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Question

p111ddy

couldn't you take out a year policy pay monthly then cancel it after a month?

A lot of (most?) insurers only do annual insurance. They put you into a finance deal so that you can pay monthly. If you cancel the insurance you still owe the finance, I think.

A lot of (most?) insurers only do annual insurance. They put you into a finance deal so that you can pay monthly. If you cancel the insurance you still owe the finance, I think.

Well I took out a annual policy with Admiral, then cancelled after a month. Worked a treat, they refunded me the whole amount!

I think they had a 28 day cancellation policy

Your no claims bonus won't increase will it and maybe after 2 years be lost in this way.

True but seeming as you would never actually pay for your insurance it wouldn't matter, there must be something to stop this practice :search: Either that or it's a big scam lots of people do which is why we pay so much for insurance :(

Whenever you decide to cancel an insurance policy, they are within their rights to charge you for any "time on risk".

i.e. If you take out a policy to start 10 days from now, you can cancel without any cost to you before it starts. Once the policy starts and the insurer has taken on your risk, you can be charged for the days that the policy was in force.

Some insurers (like NU) will try to apply an admin fee. (NU's is about £50, I think) If you fight hard enough and threaten to go to the insurance ombudsman (on the grounds that you are entitled to cancel within the cooling off period 'without penalty') then you should be able to avoid the admin fee.