The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any thoughts on MX5 - been offered one at good price

jaymdee

Just been having oil change at local garage and a guy was there with an MX5 which he wants to sell. It's a 1995 M reg, standard except for he's fitted a twin exhaust. It's had new brakes (inc calipers), new shocks, all new bushes, welding & waxoil done. and the guys at the garage (who I've known for about 5 years) all say it's mechanically 100%. Interior look very tidy too.

He wants £1700

Is this a good price? Had insurance quote off Sky of approx £300

Could a nice little runabout for summer :cool:

Guest cj748

Generally a very good choice.

Friend of mine has had 4 in a row.

A bit 'hairdresser' for some (no offence), but generally underated and good fun.

Check for head gasket problems, other than that go for it.

I've only driven one once and i absolutely loved it. The handling is superb.

The major problem is its a hairdressers/girly car, and this is coming from a guy who used to have an MR2 (MK2 turbo though so i guess thats not so bad)

I would love my wife to have one so that i could have a shot every now and again but i wouldn't have one for myself

Scott =op

OK, some more info

car is UK 1.8i model and has 122K miles and will come with 12 months MOT and 6 months tax.

Have used Schtuv's linked thread to find out all the things to look for - will try to view it later today :)

Check for rust along the sill and around the rear arches, those can be problem areas. Also check the boot interior, if it's wet inside the wings, the chances are the rain rail is leaking.

Here is an email from the seller:

few more details on the car.

Firstly, I need to point out that the car will probably not be available for sale until April. The reason for this is that I'm buying a new car which I can't take delivery of until end of April. I need the Mazda for work until then. However, that does mean that the car will have a new MOT and 6 months tax as the MOT is due end of April too. I will get Bath Perf to sort this out for me.

The car has had some tasteful upgrades:-

- Koni adjustable shocks all round / new springs

- lowered by 1.5" to preserve excellent handling but improve appearance

- SH droplinks (ARB) all round

- lightweight MX-5 alloys

- full geometry/laser alignment check last Summer

- twin exit stainless steel exhaust

- competition HT leads

- front (engine) strut brace bar

- front lower strut brace bar

- rear (boot) strut brace bar

- rear lower brace bar

- full chassis check and underseal (last Autumn)

- new Mohair roof (no leaks whatsoever)

- two new tyres (front)

- new windscreen (last Summer) - no stonechips

- chrome gear knob

- clear indicators/sidelights

- new (bright) headlamp bulbs

- radiator grille

- k&n competition air filter (last Summer)

The car has been looked after, particularly the engine, which, although it has high mileage, is absolutely bulletproof and pulls well. It handles like a dream - the improvements were made only after a lot of research so as not to damage the handling. My previous car was a TVR Cerbera so I'm used to good handling and plenty of power. The power's not quite the same (!) but the handling is actually better in my view. More fun and not so scary.

Bath Perf are always trying to get me to fit a supercharger (which it would take quite easily) but I haven't quite got to that yet.

If you're still interested I will give you first refusal on the car when it's ready to be sold - I'll contact you nearer the time for a viewing. It will not be advertised eleswhere at this stage.

Hope that's helped.

regards